HybridZ

Good portable MP3 sound system for the Z?

cygnusx1

I dont want to mount a radio or speakers the car. I would like a ready-to-play, amplified, full range, speaker box that I can plug into either 110v inverter or 12volts directly. I want to strap it in the hatch when I want the tunes. I want it to be able to play MP3's from a generic MP3 Player with cable or Bluetooth. 40-100watts for the amplified speaker system is enough for me and I want a 2.1 speaker box. 2 full range speakers and a small built in sub is ideal.

Any ideas or suggestions? I don't want or have the room to mount a head unit in the center console. A remote controller would be a big plus.

Boom boxes are OK if they aren't gaudy and huge. I want a nice clean look and a single, compact package that can sit comfortably strapped in the hatch area.

I like the Parrot BoomBox but I can't seem to find anyone reputable that still has them.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If you want something cheap and easy---the system that I use is the VR-3 head unit from Target that allows for you to play USB and SD cards like CDs. Just put them in and go. Full shuffle, folder options etc. Then you can get premade speaker boxes for the front and rear and boom. MP3s for cheap.

edit: its 79 bucks, and I run 4" speakrs up front, made boxes out of the storage trays and run 5x7s behind the seats, and an STI subwoofer under the driver seat.

Cool boom box! It's even period correct for the 70's. That's right on target for what I was looking for.

Here is the solution I came up with.

Got a new phone (entertainment center) which I needed. Nokia 5800 with a T-mobile pay-per-minute plan. I only use the phone part of it, for emergency and day to day family coordinating.

http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-5800-xpressmusic

nokia5800_stand.jpg

I love the phone. Bluetooth, GPS,Wifi, MP3, Videos, camera,.....all basically for free...works without a phone plan too. Hehe, higher resolution than the i-pood.

Then I picked up this Altec Lansing Blade. For a steal $47!!! Brand new. I thought the deal was too good to be tru but it arrived in 2 days and works great! It's a bluetooth amplified speaker box that is only 1" thick. I can velcro it right to the hatch carpet reflecting sound off the hatch glass forward. The phone sends music right to the speakers, wirelessly! All I need to do is plug in the speaker box with one plug. It's not going to shake dust off of the car but it sounds good enough to hear over the exhaust note when I need some tunes.

http://www.huetronworld.com/bluetooth-speaker-black-altec-soundblade.html

yhst-16094566549994_2068_200098962

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the speaker that I bought originally didn't cut it. I sounded good when parked or driving with the windows up, but with the windows down, it just became background noise.

So...I happened to be at Radio Shack and saw this monster 32" speaker bar. It is a ported 2.1 system with a remote, and a total of 160 watts. It came with wall mount brackets. It's really designed for a main speaker in a living room under or over a flat screen TV.

It's powered by 120v AC and is designed with an iPod dock (which I dont need). I happened to have a 300watt inverter laying around, so I hard wired the inverter behind the passengers seat. Now I have a place to plug in the speaker bar. I ran a mini jack wire, under the carpets, from the speaker bar to the dash where my phone mounts. I made some nice mounts in the hatch for the speaker bar.

It sounds great. Tons of bass, and great highs. I would give it an 8 out of 10 on the hifi scale. Very clean sound and a tight bass. Plenty loud.

I have about 3 days worth of Mp3's on my phone and just play the list randomly. When a call comes in, the music stops automatically and I talk on speaker phone. When I hang up, the music resumes. NICE!

The whole system is easily removed if I ever take it to the track. I also plan on tethering the speaker box to another location in the hatch for safety reasons.

Note the valve cover bolts!

664217765_m8FPb-XL.jpg

Note that if I slide the unit to the left or right, it can come off the brackets for easy removal. It can't slide by itself because there are blocks on each side that need to be removed first (not shown).

664217673_HC8CE-XL.jpg

http://www.memorex.com/products/product_details.php?PID=50731

664217932_AAWPg-XL.jpg

I went this route for a few reasons:

1) Megasquirt Megaview takes up my radio spot in the center console.

2) I dont want to mount permanent speakers and amps, all over the car in places that are a compromise in audio quality anyhow.

3) I want the entire audio system completely, quickly, removeable for track days.

4) I already had the source device, my cell phone with 3 days worth of tunes on it.

5) I don't feel like adding even more wiring to the car.

This is a pretty killer idea.... i was wanting to hook up and inverter so i can just haul around a small combo amp and my bass so i can jam whereever i go! but this idea for a mountable, removable head unit with speakers is brilliant! I was going to mount a ten behind each of the seats and put new 6's in the mounts i have behind the driver seat and than i was gonna get a head with bluetooth and mount it under my seat so its all stashed. But this seems easier

~J