HybridZ

Clogged Injectors?

Hi there my name is Christian and I have a 73 240z with an 83 zxt motor in it. I bought it not running and I replaced injectors with remans from motorman fi (35 lb. fords) and hard wired my fuel pump (wasn't getting anything during crank so now its on a switch) and I got it to the point where I thought it was running consistently and running pretty well. But the other day I went to take it out and it was alright until I got it onto the road and it felt like it went down a cylinder, so I took it back home and let it sit for a week and just started looking at it again today. I found that it was cylinder three that wasn't firing so I took out the injector and used an old phone charger to test it and run some sea foam through it. It definately was clogged because I compared it to another one and then I got it cleaned and put it back in and it ran good for about five minutes and then it went down again. But this time I think its the number one cylinder. Any ideas on whats going on? I know that varnish builds up on them and clogs them but I've only driven the car for a total of ten miles or so. What is causing this? How can I prevent them from clogging again? I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot

-Christian

• 2 weeks later...

fuel filter isnt the problem. had a few spots of dirt but I cleaned that out. Then I decided to pull the one injector that was clogged and I found it was and cleaned it with some TB cleaner and put it back in. It started and ran pretty good until I got it out on the road and it went back down a cylinder. I got it back home and found that now it was on my number 1 cylinder. So I pulled that injector and cleaned it. Started up, barely got it turned around in my driveway and now it seems like its down about three cylinders. Does anyone have any ideas of what the hell is going on??? :-(

they arent getting clogged with chunks of anything i think theyre getting varnish on them and thats what clogs them. that being said what can be done to prevent varnishing? i only drove the car a total of a half hour and some got clogged within that half hour. and that was after i put the new injectors in. i dont know what to do. its fresh gas with some seafoam in it...

it sounds like either rust particles in the tank or possibly water in the fuel

Id suggest verifying your fuel pressure first then draining the fuel tank, and flushing out the fuel lines and fuel rails , and pouring the contents into a clear glass jar and closely examining the fuel and contents.

my sons, driving a 1992 corvette that had similar problems and it turned out to be fine powdered rust from the tank getting pumped up into the injectors, that went thru the filter easily, rust resulting from getting about a 1/2 cup of water from the local gas station in each fill up, water that kept circulating thru the EFI system until it eventually went thru the injectors, I had him drain the tank and replace the filter, add gas drier and a pint of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and a CAN OF SEAFOAM to his next tank and STOP using CHEAP GAS from BARGAIN GAS STATIONS, once he stopped going to the local citco, thats had a known problem with water for years, and started filling up at the new CHEVRON AND SHELL stations the problem went away, he said the gas cost a few cents more per gallon but the car now runs without intermittent problems ......I asked him if having the car be hard to start, and run like crap was worth the 80-90 cents he saved per tank of gas and it finally seemed to get thru to him that use of decent fuel was his only option

Edited by grumpyvette

Alright cool sounds like a good idea. Fuel pressure is a solid 40 psi at idle. Has been since I got it. Do you think I should take the injectors out and clean them first, or just drain the take and lines. Then put some fresh shell in there with some seafoam and MMO and see what happens. Also another thing, I bought new injector holders and seals. But when I tighten the screws down into the manifold it kind of slides the seals down the injector body. Almost like the holders arent tall enough and the metal top part pulls the seal down with it. I'll see if I can get some pictures of this. Its kind of hard to explain. But if you know what I mean do you think this could cause varnish to appear on the injectors.