HybridZ

Loss of power while driving: turn off and back on runs fine

I just bought a 72 240Z. I was driving it to school today, driving normally keeping with traffic. Then a huge loss of power. It felt like half of the cylinders cut out. So I pulled off the road, and sat pondering for a bit. I started it and it ran just fine. About 10 minutes later did the same thing. I pulled off the road let it sit for about 2 minutes, then started right up and ran fine.

Stock from what I know, has stock SU carbs

Im not really sure whats going on. Someone said it might be vapor lock, but Ive read a couple of posts and stuff about it, and it doesnt sound like what my problem.

Any suggestions?

Check fuel filter, may be plugged.

Check all Main wiring connectors under the dash on pass. side. Unplug them, inspect, reconnect them. Sounds like a wire is loosing connection due to high resistance. I always fill connectors with anti oxidizing paste before reassembly. Get it anywhere home wiring supplies are sold.

Good Luck!

Mongo

Yeah Im pretty sure it was the fuel filter. Its not the stock style, its a smaller in line one. I changed it, and the problem was alleviated for a while, then it started acting up again. I checked the fuel filter and it was dirty again. It had only been a day and a half and about 30 miles..... :(

Definitely going to be cleaning the tank, and getting a better filter.

Thank you again for your help. As always, it is much appreciated.