HybridZ

Malice's SBC 355 build and swap thread

So I decided it was time to start a build thread since my project is FINALLY getting off the ground. I'll start with my car:

1972 240z -- picked her up for $900 tagged and running here locally. The only downside is Salvage title, but i really dont care, the car is complete with practically NO rust...just a little around the battery, and a nickle sized spot under the hatch.

sort018.jpg

sort019.jpg

sort029.jpg

sort021.jpg

As you can see, there is a little bit o' damage in the rear that will get taken care of when I fix the rust. Car had house carpet in it when i got it (first thing to go) and the seats need to be redone. The wiring in the car is also bad and needs replacement. I drove the car for about a year before i parked it, and stripped it.

motorpull004.jpg

frame006.jpg

frame007.jpg

I aquired a virgin 1979 4 bolt main 350, running, from a friend for $100. I tore it down and sent it away to the machine shop for a .030 over bore and hone, and to be decked.

I have MANY MANY parts that i have been collecting over the last two years in preparation for this build. I will post here as they are installed.

To be continued...

hey i think ive seen that car before :) (I grabed that diff from you a while back), good to see theres some progress on it and hope to see it out soon.

whatup jay! yeah, that was me. I heard your Z is up and running now? hopefully we can all cruise together soon

What are your goals and specs for the build, i.e. HP goal, tranny, rear gears, induction type (guessing carb) etc. ?

Im not looking for crazy power, only ~350bhp. the engine will be running:

- 9.4:1 compression

- Vortec heads

- mild/moderate street cam

- edelbrock performer EPS intake

- Holley 600CFM carb

for the Tranny, I will start with a 700R4 (I have a buddy that has a rebuilt one for me for $250) but want to one day move up to a T56 so I can get that .50 overdrive for taking her out of town.

Rearend is will be 3.54 280z R200, but I also plan on upgrading that to the Q45? LSD once the car is back on the road and I come up with the $$

-MIKE

Im not looking for crazy power, only ~350bhp. the engine will be running:

- 9.4:1 compression

- Vortec heads

- mild/moderate street cam

- edelbrock performer EPS intake

- Holley 600CFM carb

for the Tranny, I will start with a 700R4 (I have a buddy that has a rebuilt one for me for $250) but want to one day move up to a T56 so I can get that .50 overdrive for taking her out of town.

Rearend is will be 3.54 280z R200, but I also plan on upgrading that to the Q45? LSD once the car is back on the road and I come up with the $$

-MIKE

Nice, I'm planning out a similar build.

Over the holiday weekend, I was able to find time to fabricate the fuel cell brackets and frame. Hell, I even found time to install them!

You can also see in the under pic that I've been working on hammering out the damage to the rear of the car. I suck at bodywork, but its getting there.

fuelcell0.jpg

fuelcell1.jpg

As you can see, the tank is positioned further to the right. After weighing the option of installing a muffler on each side of the tank for the classic duel exhaust look, I have decided to put both mufflers on the left side and the fuel pump/filter on the right. This leaves more room for heat shielding the tank, as the mufflers will be welded together. Also positions the pump and filter way away from the hot exhaust.

-MIKE

EDIT: In case anyone was wondering, I do plan on making a skidplate for the underside of the tank. Its not low enough to be a big problem, but I have scraped my stock tank several times coming out of medium steep driveways....so just in case.

Looking good Mike!!

Is that the 350 I sold you last Summer? If so, if I had known it was a 4 bolt main I would of hiked up that price over $100, ha!! j/k

As far as your cam selection, Lunati's new Voodoo line is top notch. I've run several of them now, including the one in BBZ and LSZ. Anyway, if you are planning on just running the stock torque converter this cam will do nicely:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60103

However, if you run a small stall converter in the 2200-2500 (w/lockup) range:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60104

Hope that helps!!

• 2 months later...