HybridZ

20 year old Turbo

showa

Put gas and spark to it today and it started just like it was parked yesterday......

Smoked some but was getting better...

Everything came up to temp and stabilized...

Now on to rear disc brakes and renewing the clutch hydro system...

Kurt

Put gas and spark to it today and it started just like it was parked yesterday......

Smoked some but was getting better...

Everything came up to temp and stabilized...

Now on to rear disc brakes and renewing the clutch hydro system...

Kurt

congrats!! i wish i had luck like that with my first 240.

Nice man! Iam happy for you I love the old school turbo setups. I too wish I had that kind of luck with my first car. It looks really clean just look at the radiator fins for sure it was stored inside ! It looks like its got a external wastegate under the turbo hot side.

VIDEOS VIDEOS

CAR tech responded "we don't make that product anymore" to an email with questions about this setup.....

I was looking for tips/areas of concern etc with this turbo so I don't do anything stupid and hurt it right away....

Like, does the carbs secondaries open up under boost ??? (They're vacume secondaries) How does the brake booster work/ it looks like it's under pressure.....

Stuff like that would be nice to know, this is my first turbo and not sure about this stuff.....

Kurt

On that set up there is vacuum between the carb and turbo. The carb is up steam of the turbo and the brake booster should be between the carb and turbo so everything on the carb works just like on a normal Z.

On engines that have been sitting for a long time I always use to add a couple quarts of ATF to the oil and let the car idle for around 45 minutes or so and then drain the oil as soon as I could while it was still hot. The ATF will clean out all of the sludge and get the varnish out of the rings. But this is an OLD SCHOOL method.

CAR tech responded "we don't make that product anymore" to an email with questions about this setup.....

I was looking for tips/areas of concern etc with this turbo so I don't do anything stupid and hurt it right away....

Like, does the carbs secondaries open up under boost ??? (They're vacume secondaries) How does the brake booster work/ it looks like it's under pressure.....

Stuff like that would be nice to know, this is my first turbo and not sure about this stuff.....

Kurt

The situation with the brake booster is this. There should be a valve in the brake vacuum hose line between the manifold and booster. This is a one way valve, that way your brake booster never sees boost, only engine vacuum. It's assumed that when you've got ya foot on the brake, you've got ya foot off the gas (no boost). :wink:

Cheers.