HybridZ

77 280z with 81 turbo... problems

chipo280z

i just finished doing my swap but it seems that the injectors are not firing but i think there is something wrong on my wiring, because i was never sure of how to hook everithing up... I'm using a distributor froma 280zx n/a with the e12-80 module. Is there any complications that could happen if i use this distributor.... thaks for your tima any advide would be greatly appreciated...

The N/A distributor has a different timing setting as opposed to the turbo dizzy. Your timing will be way off. Also, the turbo dizzy is locked and controlled by the ECU as opposed to the vacuum advanced N/A dizzy. I hope this helps.

If this is my problem how can i solve it. Maybe by changing the timing shaft. Do i have to get the turbo distributor?

81zxt is a crank fire setup-you have to swap all the 81zxt stuff-including the afm and run the zxt ignition.the 81zxt has a 90 tooth wheel-the ecm needs to see the correct rpm signal to operate.the 77 efi system wont supply enough fuel for a turbo.i had mine running on 81zxt efi for years before switching to megasquirt.i just got tired of chasing problems with 25+ year old parts.

81zxt is a crank fire setup-you have to swap all the 81zxt stuff-including the afm and run the zxt ignition.the 81zxt has a 90 tooth wheel-the ecm needs to see the correct rpm signal to operate.the 77 efi system wont supply enough fuel for a turbo.i had mine running on 81zxt efi for years before switching to megasquirt.i just got tired of chasing problems with 25+ year old parts.

OK this is what i have right now it is a turbo engine removed from an 81zx with an auto tranny. I have the whole fuel injection from the same 81zx turbo with the crank angle sensor (which i dont know if i need it for the fuel injection). The only thing missing is the Ignition stuff. What im trying to do is use the distributor that i used to have ffrom my 77. It was the upgraded ignition with the ignition controle module (e12-80) on the dizzy. I already tried to start the car with everything instaled. It seems that my injectors are not firing, but i got spark.

Is there a way i can make this work??? do i need the CAS installed in order to get my injectors firing???

yesterday we were testing everything on the z. We found out that we have spark and it looks like the connector on the injectors are getting a signal. So.... i was thinking maybe the injectores are not for this car... so i went and look on the fsm and fount that that they are suppose to be reading 2-3 ohms. when i check them they did not even had continuity... could all the injectors be bad or incorrect?? a friend is coming tomorrow with his 280zxt, we will swap them and see what happens

so it looks like i need some injectors.... i will let you guys know what happen tomorrow

so today i cleaned the injectors and did the ohm test again and now it reads 2.45 ohms. and not it runs but really rough. Does it have anything to do with the fact that i'm using the n/a distributor?

81s have the CAS on the block... unless he's missing it, then yes he'd need the 83 Dizzy assembly and shaft.

You'll need the ignitor as well.

A local kid with a 280ZX Turbo has a 4 Pin GM HEI module as his ignitor, but his car is a basketcase, I'm not sure if it is doing the job properly.

Hey you cant just use a different distributor! and different injectors? and also mention your not sure of all your wiring and expect it to run!? and mix n match at this point you sound like a megasquirter. I recommend reading up on allot of information in the archives...goodluck I am not trying to deter you away but It took my at least 3 years to get my setup running and I was sure of all my wiring and had proper parts. The best advice I can give is knowledge is power so the power to you brother.

81s have the CAS on the block... unless he's missing it, then yes he'd need the 83 Dizzy assembly and shaft.

You'll need the ignitor as well.

A local kid with a 280ZX Turbo has a 4 Pin GM HEI module as his ignitor, but his car is a basketcase, I'm not sure if it is doing the job properly.

I already have the CAS mounted on the block. Why is it that the e12-80 distributor would not work, it seems to be working, but i have not move the car.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the car trying to fix some issues. I already have injection. I installed the 81 turbo dizzy and CAS. The new problem that i can seem to solve is spark. I have no spark from my coil. I checked with my multimeter if i had any kind of pulsation from the yello/white wire coming from my ECU but it seems that i dont. Is this a good test?. i have a couple of questions

1. Would it be possible that my CAS is bad only for the Ignition signal?

2. Does the fuel pump relay interfere in any way with my ignion?

3. Is it possible to use an 82-83 turbo ECU with a 81 dizzy?

thanks for your time guys. right now im really dying to drive the car.... later i'll get some pictures

i have ran 82/83 zxt ecm on 81zxt no problem.the cas on 81 is a vr sensor-but there are 2 sensors in it.one checks for 3 teeth(the wide teeth 120 degrees apart) and the other reads the 90 teeth.are the injectors firing?i used a megasquirt to fire a stock 81 zxt coil/ignitor for a long time.that yellow/white wire fires the transistor on the coil.you could check the output of the cas with a dvom that reads low voltage ac.check at the front connector then recheck at the ecm plug on the correct pins.

i have ran 82/83 zxt ecm on 81zxt no problem.the cas on 81 is a vr sensor-but there are 2 sensors in it.one checks for 3 teeth(the wide teeth 120 degrees apart) and the other reads the 90 teeth.are the injectors firing?i used a megasquirt to fire a stock 81 zxt coil/ignitor for a long time.that yellow/white wire fires the transistor on the coil.you could check the output of the cas with a dvom that reads low voltage ac.check at the front connector then recheck at the ecm plug on the correct pins.

the injectors are firing it is the ignition that is the problem...

i'm thinking that maybe my computer is bad, because i tried to read any pulse coming out of the ECU on the yello/white wire and it did not even blink the voltage stayed the same. i will check directly on teh CAS to see what happens... just one quick questions....

does the green light has to stay on on the ECU while cranking??? mine goes off