HybridZ

240z fastback / welding hatch shut

Has anyone here ever done/considered this? I'm restoring a '71 and one of the ideas I have is to make the car a fastback instead of a hatchback. I replaced floorpans and parts of the subframe with heavier gauge metal, so the car is stiffer than it was stock, and I'm putting the L24 back in the car next year. My main concern is what the torsional effects of driving the car may have on the rear window if I do in fact decide to mount it permanently. Or should this not be a concern? Thanks.

Get a new rubber seal for the rear glass, and that should soak everything up. If you want to get really ambitious you could make the glass a lift glass. I would imagine earlier RX7 hatch hinges would work, just need some sort of mechanism. That way your hatch area would'nt be entirely useless.

I am going to try and say this the best way i can haha. but put the fuel cell to the right side of the car and cut a whole so the tire could stand upright sort of like another wheel well and put it to the left side of the car and make it so it tucks under enough that it would be able to be taken out from the bottom and rig some cross bars or something to hold the tire up in the spare wheel well

fender_scoop-1.1.png

Sort of like this but under the car and inside the trunk space area? I don't know if it would be able to come out maybe put it in at a slant or something.

Yes, this would be my primary and pretty much sole concern. Having a fuel cell up top and mounting the tire underneath is a great idea too. Glad I posted this question, I got some different angles now :cool: Keep the suggestions coming!

Not the best idea in my opinion, unless you make some sort of enclosure around the cell or taxicab the thing so that if you get rear ended the fuel cell doesn't cover you in gasoline. I like the cell or tank under the car with a sheet metal barrier between you and the fuel.

Not the best idea in my opinion, unless you make some sort of enclosure around the cell or taxicab the thing so that if you get rear ended the fuel cell doesn't cover you in gasoline. I like the cell or tank under the car with a sheet metal barrier between you and the fuel.

Amen to that.

And who needs a spare anyway? Hot rods and race cars don't carry spares. Excess weight is your enemy. A can of Fix-a-flat and a AAA card, that's all you need. I havent carried a spare in my Z since I've owned it.

hmm... hows this sound for a game plan?

Remove the fuel tank, cut out the wheel wheel for the spare, weld the hatch bottom flat, fit a RX7 fuel tank and 6-2 headers twin piped with a pipe exiting each side of the rear, weld shut the hatch and set the glass as an opening glass door, and fab the tail to swing down like a pickup tailgate to release the spare wheel.

The wheel in it's little enclosure will rase the apparent floor of the hatch, but it's a sports car, not a grocery carrier after all. get a van for that job :D

Somewhere on Hybridz, I've seen a Z with the spare well removed and a RX tank fitted to allow a V8 to have rear twin exhaust pipes, A search should bring up details.