HybridZ

I broke my 4L60E

deja

I finally got enough miles on the new engine to see what it will do. I took it out Tuesday and flogged it a few times, its fast. But on the last flog the tranny didn't seem to shift right, like it was slipping badly going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I didn't drive it yesterday but this morning I took it out and there is definitely something wrong. At first all seemed fine but after about 10 minutes it was not shifting right at all even driving normal. I barely go it home. Even starting off I really had to go easy, it was slipping badly. The tranny seems full, I tried putting more fluid in (thinking maybe that Lokar dip stick was not accurate) but it didn't make any difference.

I guess I will attempt to pull the tranny without pulling the engine. I think its possible. Of course I have no clue why it suddenly decided to go bad since all was good with the old engine and the tranny doesn't have that many miles on it since the PO had it rebuilt (11,000 miles). The tranny seemed to be working perfect during all the driving (500 miles) I did before I put my foot into the new engine.

Sorry to hear about this Dale, but let me know if you're gonna go through it yourself. I'd like to take a peek at it's guts. I built my 2004R myself and would like to do a little comparing. If yoiu need some help getting it out and back in, lemme know. I also have ready access to some of the specialty tools if it's anything like the 2004R. Even have the jack you might need.

Warren

It possible I guess, but yes I have an external cooler. This is the same tranny and cooler I had with the old engine. Like I said everything seemed fine until I started hitting the engine hard. First few pulls were fine but it got steadily worse quickly.

Somone suggested that either to pump isn't pumping or the TC had gone south??????????????

did you possibly over heat the trans or torque converter? do you have a trans cooler set up?

Thanks Warren. I don't think I will be taking on any rebuild, way beyond my mechanical abilities. I will probably pull a cooler line and see if its still pumping fuild and then drop the pan to see if anything is in there that doesn't belong.

Sorry to hear about this Dale, but let me know if you're gonna go through it yourself. I'd like to take a peek at it's guts. I built my 2004R myself and would like to do a little comparing. If yoiu need some help getting it out and back in, lemme know. I also have ready access to some of the specialty tools if it's anything like the 2004R. Even have the jack you might need.

Warren

Yep everything in the tranny is stock. I did have the shift pressures bumped by the computer when I first installed the old LT1. I'm thinking going with a 2500 stall TC and a better built 4L60E.

thats what I was thinking, is it a stock converter?

Well we're going to give it a shot. I would hate to have to pull all that stuff off the engine again since I just put it on, LOL.

BTW I see you finally got your car painted, looks nice.

Sorry to hear about your transmission problem. You probably can pull the transmission without the engine, but it may not be any easier. either way, good luck.

Dang, sorry to hear it. My 200-4r in my silver car did very similar several months back. I barely got it home and in the garage. It's parked until I can pull the pan to see what's going on. For mine, I think I may have lost my original TV cable setting when I swapped some parts on my carb. :(

Yeah it sucks for sure. Just when I thought I was going to be able to enjoy the car again. My tranny is computer controlled, no TV cable. I pulled the pan but didn't see anything wrong, like I know what I'm looking at, LOL. Nothing weird in the fluid. I have all the bolts out and am ready to pull it out. As soon as I decide what I am going to replace it with. There is Mad Dog Transmissions in Cumming that sound good, I think I may run up there today and check them out. Not the cheapest way to go but I want something a bit more robust than a stock tranny.

Dang, sorry to hear it. My 200-4r in my silver car did very similar several months back. I barely got it home and in the garage. It's parked until I can pull the pan to see what's going on. For mine, I think I may have lost my original TV cable setting when I swapped some parts on my carb. :(

Oh, its going to cost an arm and a leg, everything I do costs me an arm and a leg, LOL. I'm running out od stuff to replace on this car, damn near everything is brand new. Last wek my brother asked me how much money I have in this car. I told him a hell of a lot less than you have in that 2010 turbo deisel 2500 Dodge! At least I think that's correct!

Damn that sucks! Hope you get it squared away, without it costing an arm and a leg!

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally on the road again. I picked up a slightly used beefed up 4L60E with a shift kit and a 2 stall converter from the same people I got my GM crate short block. I was able to get my new transmission in by myself. Granted it took me 3 tries, finally figuring out the TC wasn't fully seated. I have no doubt this was easier than pulling the engine along with the transmission. I would have had to drain the engine coolant, pull the hood and disconnect all that wiring...again. Now that I know how to do it the next time, Lord forbid, it will be easier. Access to several of the bolts is hard but given the right tools and lowering the back of the tranny you can got to them all. I made a tranny adapter for my jack out of a 12"x10"x1/2" chunk of aluminum and a 22mm socket. It worked like a charm. It was very stable but I did use a nylon strap to tie in down just in case. Would have been nice if I could have pivoted it up and down for alignment. I had to keep jacking up the engine to get it to align with the tranny. But all in all it wasn't that tough. This new transmission took care of having to stand hard on the brakes at a light. That could be the 2800 stall converter or maybe the old TC was already messed up. I haven't put my foot totally into it yet but at half throttle it seems faster and the shift into second was very hard, I swear the car jumped sideways!!! I think I'm going to like this tranny.

It's funny that sometimes a faulty part that we didn't know about makes the car slower than it should be! My neighbor just replaced a faulty carb on his Boss 302 Mustang and he swears it's so much faster than before. Good work on getting your tranny in by yourself. I have done it too--it just takes time :ugg:

Davy

LOL, you got that right! I spend most of my time in that garage doing something. I bought the car for this very reason but didn't realize it would become such an obsession.

Damn Dale, before your retirement, it would have taken you 6 months or so to do that much work... must be nice to be able to dedicate all of your time to the car now... (i.e., you lucky bastard...hahahah)