HybridZ

vg30et road racing

200sxdatsun

Well I can only speak to my situation, but I had a very well prepped engine by a trusted builder. There are no certainties with custom work that it was built perfect, but I think/feel that it was well built with no issues. Anywhoo. My engine with only 2500Km on it let go at my first road track event. I ran the 1/4 mile the night before with no engine issues. After a couple of warm up laps and then into a 8/10th's lap, I heard a bit of a tapping noise exiting a hard turn. My lapping day was done, and the motor let go on the way home from the track. It spun a connecting rod bearing. After some investigation, we decided that it was likely losing oil pressure in hard turns.

I have no other proof that is was something else, and it matches the series of events of the day.

I have not taken it on the track since. Maybe once I build a larger baffled pan, but not until then, and I have no immediate plans to add it to my project list.

Hadn't consider that HM, the extra complications one pays for just to have two camshafts per head, not one :)

Anyway my philosophy on lubrication is that it can never be too good. Check out Moroso and Accusump sites for pics and diagrams Dave, just work out how its all going to be connected before the engine goes in though.

accusump, a better pan and an oil cooler and your vg should be fine, I used to run into the oil over heating whenever i would run the engine hard on my vgt. i solved the oil starvation by adding an extra half quart whenever i planned on doing something with the car.

I've seen several VGs with stock oil pans die from oil starvation under hard cornering. At the very least every VG needs an oil pressure gauge! If you add "wings" to the oil pan to increase capacity you also need to add trap doors or the extra oil won't stay at the pickup. I don't have a pic handy of just the trap I put in the oil pan for the VG510 conversion, but you can see one of the hinged doors in this pic:oilpantop.jpg

I put a diamond-shaped trap in my oil pans with a trap door in each wall. There's a 3/4" tall, 2-1/4" wide slot behind each door. These oil pans have been run on the street, hill climbing, rallying, autocrossing, and road racing with zero oiling issues. This pan adds about 1-1/2 quarts to the sump capacity and is built specifically for the 510 conversion though it also fits in a VG-converted 240Z.

oil pan

http://www.vg30.com/510vg30parts.html

is this still made? Thanks Dave

Yes, I still build the VG510 kit. I've got a few oil pans in the works right now and everything else in stock.

A couple months ago I did a prototype competition oil pan for the Z31. I'm waiting for the customer to install it before I produce more. I'm wishing I had a complete Z31 so I could double-check the fit myself rather than waiting.

From your username I'm guessing you've got a VG 200SX?

I sent some pics to Carter,I'm pretty sure the 510 kit will work. I want the car to be on rails and not have an issue with oil temp or pressure. I do have a 200sx and it is not easy finding parts. Would I need to send you my pan ,it looks to be in really good shape. Also do I need to buy the oil pick up kit with it? 5 vs 6 quarts? Thanks Dave....

Carter forwarded the pics to me. It looks like the 510 conversion pan would be a perfect fit. It's 9-3/8" from the back wall of the stock Z31 oil pan to the vertical wall at the front of my fabricated sump. It's also more shallow than the stock Z31 sump making the bell housing the lowest point. My website incorrectly states capacity at 6 quarts. (I really need to get the site up-to-date.) The earliest production version of this oil pan did increase oil capacity to 6 quarts but I ended up shrinking the sump due to "loose tolerances" at the 'Ol Nissan factory when they formed the 510 front crossmembers. The current version makes oil capacity 5 quarts.

I build these oil pans on stock Z31 cores so I would need your pan in exchange. Yours being the less common turbo pan I would build it on your supplied core. I can leave the turbo drain fitting in the stock location or move it for you, depending on where your turbo is going to end up. You do have to use my modified pickup tube with the VG510 pan. On the Z31 competition pan the stock tube works. In your application I would definitely run a big oil cooler!

D'oh! The sump is 15-1/8" wide. :-( Of course you need a little room for movement too. If this won't work I can do something one-off if you'd like. I could make the sump an inch narrower and move the back wall rearward to pick up some more capacity. The cost would go up a couple hundred dollars though.

As far as placing an order, shipping a core, and payment go it's best to talk to Carter. He handles all that so I can focus on designing and building stuff.