HybridZ

new machinist with q's

oldskoolZ

Hello everyone, its been a while since ive posted here, and i hope this is the correct sub-forum. But i wanted to say that i finally got a job! (dont worry thats not the part you have to care about). I started working at a machine shop about 3 months ago. Problem is, its like manufacturing machining... and im basically just working in a factory -_- with mills and lathes haha

I really want to learn more about actual 'machining' and CNC and stuff. But they seem reluctant to teach me anything where i work. Are there any really good books on these things? I would really love to learn how to work with this stuff so i could, not only get somewhere in my work, but also apply it to my true passion; cars.

Well im mostly just curious to see how many tool makers are on this forum and if you guys have any pointers for a 'noob' production machinist such as myself lol

Thanks in advance!

You are probably considered a newb there. I gaurantee that they are watching your work like a hawk. Do a consistently great job and the old timers will begin to recognize your skills. Then they will begin to teach you tricks. Obviously, you are passionate about it. They will notice and begin to take you under their wing. Meanwhile, see if you can do some after hours projects, or stay late/early and apprentice with one of the better guys. Good luck. My dad was a tool and die maker/machinist for 40 years. CNC is not my specialty because I am an ME and work more on the design end of it now. There are definitely books about it, but hands on is the best, and you are on your way already. Congrats.

PS

Go ask an old timer if they have a copy of the Machinists' Handbook. That will usually get their attention.

Thanks cyg, i have been trying to do my best and I've already done a few after hour projects that they were somewhat impressed with haha... one of the greatest things about the job is the source of materials i now have haha... I'm constantly buying things through the shop and they're always curious to see what I'm doing with the stuff... I guess these are all good things lol...

So what kind of work are you doing, cleaning, tool hand? It takes quite a bit of exposure and training with this equipment before they'll let you mess with anything too serious. The equipment is expensive and dangerous. I'm not trying to be negative, but give you an idea of some of the reasons they aren't tripping over themselves to show you the ropes. I went to VoTech for 4 years and worked in the tool room and on the production line for about 7 years. It was a lot of fun and challenging. Today I wish I still had access to all those machines but I chose another path.

Do you have any tech schools around? They typically they will have night classes. This would be a great place to learn about how to run these machines. Let your boss know you want to learn more, show some initiative. I say enroll in a night class, they might pick up the tab.

Good luck.

I'd check out the community college in your area. A lot of them used to have machine tool technology classes.

A lot of the time the older guy's will tell you stuff if you ask specific questions, maybe how to determine correct speeds and feeds or how to cut an internal thread, cutter angles or whatever. Once you get them talking you learn all kinds of stuff. Maybe ask them about the most interesting jobs they've done to break the ice and be sincerely interested in what they tell you.

It always seemed to me that I took six months or more to be accepted then people sort of know if you are sincere and willing to listen and learn.

Hello everyone, its been a while since ive posted here, and i hope this is the correct sub-forum. But i wanted to say that i finally got a job! (dont worry thats not the part you have to care about). I started working at a machine shop about 3 months ago. Problem is, its like manufacturing machining... and im basically just working in a factory -_- with mills and lathes haha

I really want to learn more about actual 'machining' and CNC and stuff. But they seem reluctant to teach me anything where i work. Are there any really good books on these things? I would really love to learn how to work with this stuff so i could, not only get somewhere in my work, but also apply it to my true passion; cars.

Well im mostly just curious to see how many tool makers are on this forum and if you guys have any pointers for a 'noob' production machinist such as myself lol

Thanks in advance!

Well Oldskool,

Sounds like you have some typical questions for a young machinist. Thats OK ,it's to be expected. I'll start off by telling you that I have been a machinist since 1985, And a tool maker for approx. twelve or so years. First of all congratulations on finding a job in todays economy. That's a feat in itself. The thing that concerns me at the moment is that I'll quote you, "problem is it's like manufacturing machining". It's all manufacturing,weather it's one piece or five hundred. I'll asume that you meant to say that it is production machining, where you tend to have long runs that might seem to get boring. Is this correct? Maybe you can be a little more specific as to what type of parts you are making and what type of machines you are running. I'm sure there are many machinist and or tool makers in this forum that would be more than willing to help out. My advice to you at the moment is to settle down and focus on the basics of machining.Find some one who will be willing to teach you and let them know that you are willing to master the basics of machining one step at a time, learning to square a block ,and learning how to check parts properly,and deburring properly. Concentrate on quality and specifics and slowly work your way into being a well rounded machinist. Some older tool makers might become reluctant to teach if they get the feeling that you are trying to go to fast, or jump ahead to quickly. CNC machining is advanced machining.You would not try to jump ten school buses on a motor cycle,if you have not learned to ride first would you? I worked in a machine shop for six years before I even considered myself to be a machininst, and even at that point my skills were limited.The field of machining is so vast, from building production tooling, to building molds to produce parts that have details that you can not even see with the naked eye, to building turbine blades used to rebuild a jet engine. Now I'm 51 years old and still learning. Hope this helps a little. Get back with some specifics of the job and I'm sure somone will have some answers for you. Good luck. And have patience.

You are probably considered a newb there. I gaurantee that they are watching your work like a hawk. Do a consistently great job and the old timers will begin to recognize your skills. Then they will begin to teach you tricks. Obviously, you are passionate about it. They will notice and begin to take you under their wing. Meanwhile, see if you can do some after hours projects, or stay late/early and apprentice with one of the better guys. Good luck. My dad was a tool and die maker/machinist for 40 years. CNC is not my specialty because I am an ME and work more on the design end of it now. There are definitely books about it, but hands on is the best, and you are on your way already. Congrats.

PS

Go ask an old timer if they have a copy of the Machinists' Handbook. That will usually get their attention.

definitely agree with ^^^

Try to come in early ( this can go for any job) Alot of the "old timers" will come in a hour early ( drink coffee.. shot the ♥♥♥♥ and talk ♥♥♥♥ about how dumb there boss man is and so on and so on) This is perfect time to get one on one time with some real experienced workers. Just ask some ?? and pay attension to what they say.This also shows that you are dedicated and want to learn and you are not lazy. The grey haired dont like lazy even if they are lazy.lol . Im not a machinist but i have worked with metal (and welded metal)for over 15 years now. Dedication will get you anything you want.

Yea sorry i meant production, for instance, this past week i completed an order of 4200 stainless steel brackets ha...

But things are going much better, i asked if i could take an operators manual home for our Mazak HMC's and proto trak DPM3's and that showed them that I'm interested in staying there. Ever since then theyve been showing me stuff about setting up machines and talking to me about buying my own tools.

Plus Ive been asking a ton of questions haha

Thanks everyone for your support!

info with videos included in the link and more videos below

http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/mirrors/www.nmis.org/EducationTraining/machineshop/mill/intro.html

http://www.eng.mu.edu/~dlc/machineshop/mill/intro.html

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/videos/127-machine-shop-4

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/videos/183-machine-shop-5

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/videos/183-machine-shop-6

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/videos/183-machine-shop-7

yes I know this stuff is only of interest if you actually want to know how things get machined or if you own a milling machine, but it never hurts a darn thing to have the basic concepts down when some machine shop starts to B.S. you about the difficulty of doing some things, if you've got a good grasp on what you want done and how its accomplished you'll make smarted decisions.

the milling machine and the LATHE are the two real basic powered machine tools that allow most machine work to get done, add a decent welder and you can do a great deal of the work on your car or fabricate many custom parts

LATHE RELATED

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/videos/144-machine-shop-8

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/videos/144-machine-shop-9

http://techtv.mit.edu/genres/24-how-to/videos/144-machine-shop-10

WELDERS INFO requires a bit of INFO from you on WHAT YOUR DOING and WHAT your useing

this might help

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_252/

Edited by grumpyvette