HybridZ

280-ZX, which models received R-180's vs R-200's?

FiveSeventyZee

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure that list is entirely accurate, my '79 AUto 2+2 was an R-200 car. my '79 ZXR 5spd is indeed an R-180 car. the other car I've had was a '79 with an 83 turbo swap and an R-200, I did not put the swap together so I'm not sure what equipment actually came with what... I know the 5spd was the standard 5spd... not the T-5 but the car was originally an automatic car... who knows if the diff was to that car or not...

I was under the impression that all the 2+2s where R-200 cars, the 2 that I've had my hands on both where, and I can't say I've taken the time to look at the rear ends in the junkyard 2+2s I've seen

The most reliable thing is to pick up a copy of the FSM for the year you're looking at. It will tell you size and ratio for anything. Of course, that also depends on previous owners not swapping parts around, which is always a distinct possibility. On the ZX, per my 82 FSM, the rear diff mount is listed with the following note: "Differential mounting bracket and adapter plate of R200 differential carrier are installed opposite to those of R180 differential carrier. Install them according to identification marks shown in table below."

| Bracket | Adapter Plate

| White Paint | Cutout

------------------------------------------

R200 | Front | Rear

R180 | Rear | Front

The easiest thing to do is just learn to tell the difference visually. Also carry chalk with you for easy marking of the driveshaft to check the ratio. Or just use the John Coffe method - pull it apart and look!

makes you wonder if the FSMs werent completly correct, as stated earlier, the '79 2+2 automatic I had was an R-200 car, we purchased it from the original owner with a stack of receipts for what would have to have been every bit of work done to the car, every oil change, tie-rod, even tires and replacement lugnuts and alighnments had receipts for them, nothing mentioned anything other than a fluid change in the rear end

not saying its not possible, but it seems unlikely the diff was changed with records like that.

I have been wondering the same thing zxrkid is right in what he stated on the cars that he had and I had a manual 2+2 that had a r200 but all the others I have had has had the r180. My current 280zx has a r200 but it has ben molested and swaped by the 2 previouse owners so I dont know if it is the original or not

• 2 weeks later...

My factory service manual says that all Autos had R180 and all Manuals had R200. Regardless of the year or whether it was a 2 or a 2+2. The ratios are a different story with a range of factory and importer 'sports' options. The majority of Autos had 3.5 and the manuals ran 3.7 although I have an R200 with 3.9 as a sport option. Having said that, this is an Australian manual and does not have turbo specs. ;)