HybridZ

5.3 carbon on driverside spark plugs NEED HELP

I have a 2002 5.3 v8 in my 240z and lately it has been running rough. I scaned and it coded the frount knock sensor. I replaced the knock sensor and the check engine light when off. I re-scaned the engine and there were no codes but it is still running rough. I pullled all the spark plugs out and the driver side where all black with carbon. Why all on the driver side are black with carbon and not the other side? I looked for air leaks but did not find any or did not look in the right place.

I am at a lost and need some advice.

Thanks in advance

I think I have found the problem. It seems to be the O2 sensor. I have already changed it and will test drive the car later today. I hope this fix the problem.

That was not the problem. I am now think about some leaks somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Ok, problem solved. The fuel rail on the drivers side was given too much fuel. I replaced the both rails and its running better. The next project is a cam swap.

Thanks to all.

As it turned out, that was not the problem :cry:. I had an extender on the driverside o2 sensor. I disconnected, reconnected and relocated the o2 sensor wire and it seem to do the trick. The car is running fine and no rough idle nor smoke out of the driverside tail pipe :).

Oh, I also did the LS6 cam swap (springs, etc) about 2 weeks ago and need to tune for the new cam :icon6:.

Miles- did you do the cam swap in car? I've wondered how hard it might be to do one.

Thanks,

Mike

It wasn't that hard with the correct tools. We didn't even need to take off Miles' hood to do the swap.

We started on a Saturday morning around 10am, stopped around 3pm for the day and started up again on Sunday morning around 8am and had it back together and ready to run by 11am. That was including a few hangups that came along the way.