HybridZ

Virgin l28 wanted

PapaSmurf

I'm looking for an l28 in great shape - no amateur mechanics have stripped bolts etc. Most important I need it to have a head on it with no cam or valve wear - none damnit! I have purchased 3 engines off these forums in the past and every damned one has had cam lobe wear that I didn't catch in time. I'm willing to pay for an engine that will last me.

I hate my Z in that it only runs 1 month out of the year. It takes all the fun out of it. I have a newborn son now and no time to dink around with these bargain engines. I will probably end up going with a crate engine but I figured I'd see what hidden gems you guys might have.

I'm looking for an l28 in great shape - no amateur mechanics have stripped bolts etc. Most important I need it to have a head on it with no cam or valve wear - none damnit!

so you want a 26-34 year old motor thats never been messed with and has 0 cam or valve wear?

:icon56:

Hah why dont you take one of those bargain motors, bore/hone it, stick bigger .40 flat top pistons in it (that will run you 600-1k) then take the head off order all new valves/springs/retainers,bigger cam/ as well as a valve job...etc) that will run you easily 1k-1500 and then you'll only be out 2-3k for a "brand new" rebuilt engine that will be amazingly fresh and perfect with as much n/a (non stroked) power you can get (unless you port/polished it, which you can then add another 750-2k. And it will just be in the machine shop for a few months and im sure theyll add some on for assembly and everything else, go ahead and buy some lube, i'll pitch in the 5 bucks for it...whats your paypal. Good luck otherwise with you original idea, might as well buy/build a stroker with that 3-5k youll be spending, but yet im sure you're only looking to spend 1k or so if that on here arent you?

Not bagging he's just been vague except that he's unhappy with what he's gotten, which to me sounds like he was vague before and didnt specify it then and now he's got what he's got. Lets be serious...

1. PRICE YOU'RE GOING TO PAY/BE SPECIFIC

2. What do you want? Rebuilt motor, motor from nissan, imported motor?

3. What type of motor...dished, stock bore, flat top, turbo, stroker???

4. Why dont you have a looksy on ebay, there is a guy in rancho cucamungo or w/e in cali that he just has them rebuilt and sells them with whatever set-up you want.

• 1 month later...
Not bagging he's just been vague except that he's unhappy with what he's gotten, which to me sounds like he was vague before and didnt specify it then and now he's got what he's got. Lets be serious...

1. PRICE YOU'RE GOING TO PAY/BE SPECIFIC

2. What do you want? Rebuilt motor, motor from nissan, imported motor?

3. What type of motor...dished, stock bore, flat top, turbo, stroker???

4. Why dont you have a looksy on ebay, there is a guy in rancho cucamungo or w/e in cali that he just has them rebuilt and sells them with whatever set-up you want.

The last motor I built up for this car I bought in portland where everybody buys 260z's and tosses the l26's and shoves in l28's for emissions purposes. I was stuck there building engines for months. The first one I got was an l26 some ******* scratched the 6 into an 8 and was trying to be clever. I had to buy what was available though because I wanted to get my car home. That engine turned out to be a box of rocks, engine number 2 was an l28 with painful cam wear. The block seized up on me a few months back, with the head removed I still could not rotate the crank.

Now let me be specific -

I will never buy anything from YOU sticky

All I want is a good running l28, preferably with a square port head

no cam wear, no cam lobe wear, good compression indicating recent valve stem seal replacement, no burnt valves etc.

The people on this board who are actually serious about selling an engine to me, the people who are not just trying to raise their post count and flame others know what a good running engine looks like. I can make any l28 fit into that engine bay and in a pinch I'll just take the block and leave you with the head if it's not in good shape. I have plenty of valve stem seals and 2 spare heads that I could piece into something useful.

I am a new dad, I don't have TIME to dink around with less than worthy engines. These things are all 30+ years old - we know that smart ass.

Bottom line you know what a good running engine is and you do not need me to be specific. I can replace pistons, valves, heads etc. I can bore and I can port, I just want something to get me by for now. Something that I can work with in a year or so when I get the time to build it up right. I miss throwing my z around so if anyone is serious give me a pm

I'm looking for an l28 in great shape - no amateur mechanics have stripped bolts etc. Most important I need it to have a head on it with no cam or valve wear - none damnit! I have purchased 3 engines off these forums in the past and every damned one has had cam lobe wear that I didn't catch in time. I'm willing to pay for an engine that will last me.

I hate my Z in that it only runs 1 month out of the year. It takes all the fun out of it. I have a newborn son now and no time to dink around with these bargain engines. I will probably end up going with a crate engine but I figured I'd see what hidden gems you guys might have.

:shock:

I may have what you're looking for.

l28 out of a 79 280zx

Has less than 70k miles and it looks like I'm the first guy to turn a wrench on it outside of routine maintenance. Compression is within 3% of 160 across the board.

Very strong motor. Located in Kennewick, WA in car right now.

Delivery to Kelso is possible.

PM'd