HybridZ

Lower Radiator hose issue

I just replaced the water pump in my 1973 240Z and I am having an issue with the lower radiator hose. When I took the old hose off, I noticed that the old hose had been making contact with the A/C compressor pulley. The hose was worn almost all of the way through! I had ordered a replacement lower radiator hose when I ordered the water pump which was almost identical to this one I took off. The only difference I noted was that the newer one was about 3/4" to 1" longer. It seems that I cannot get this hose installed in any way where it does not make some contact with this A/C pulley. I am considering going with one of the metal flexible coolant hoses (like Coolflex) in order to clear this pulley. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

do you mean the alternator? couldnt you just shorten the radiator hose to straiten out the kink a little? I think a pic of where it is rubbing would help alot.

I'll try and get a picture this weekend. No, it's not the alternator, it's an A/C compressor. The hose exits the engine, bends down along the outside of hte Alternator between it and the A/C compressor then takes a turn down toward the lower radiator inlet. This is where it rubs the A/C compressor. I did try and shorten the hose a bit, but it still makes contact with the A/C pulley. I'll try and get a pic posted... Thanks!

It has to be an aftermarket A/C unit. The 260 was the first Z that came with factory A/C... (and it's on the left (intake/exhaust) side of the engine - not the alternator side of the engine)

Yes, I'm quite sure it's an aftermarket A/C. Installed long ago by persons unknown. It is quite a beefy bracket it is attached to too! Any recommendations on this hose issue?

I bought a 71 with after market A/C and the guy used zip ties to pull the hose away from the pulley. It worked. I clamped some rubber to the hose in such a way that it rested on the compressor housing and held the hose away from the pulley as a temporary measure. I removed the A/C when I swapped engines as it didn't work very well anyway and I'd rather use the newer style mount and put the compressor on the other side of the engine.

Here are two photos illustrating the problem:

One photo is a front view showing how the hose makes contact with the A/C pulley. The other photo shows damage to the old lower radiator hose.

I may take waddiejohn's suggestion and see how that works out

Z_hose_front_1a_thumb.JPG

Z_hose_damage_1_thumb.JPG

Checked out my 73 with the dealer installed aftermarket YORK AC kit

Mine has tons of clearance with the original lower rad hose.

On close view of your pic it appears the idler pulley is mounted underneath. If that's the case it's not in the original position.

Original idle/tension pulley was up top near the valve cover.

I've attached a few pics

Hope this helps.

IMG_0139_thumb.JPG

IMG_0141_thumb.JPG

IMG_0142_thumb.JPG

IMG_0143_thumb.JPG

My idler pulley was on top but I still had the problem. Those old add on kits had mounting brackets that looked like they came out of some shop down the alley and I think they made them mount too low. Sounds like ONT240 got lucky or someone mod'd his mount. Clearance for the hose was a common problem.

Checked out my 73 with the dealer installed aftermarket YORK AC kit

Mine has tons of clearance with the original lower rad hose.

On close view of your pic it appears the idler pulley is mounted underneath. If that's the case it's not in the original position.

Original idle/tension pulley was up top near the valve cover.

I've attached a few pics

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the pics. The idler pulley for my setup is actually on top, opposite from the compressor. Your photos look like a very similar setup as mine.

My idler pulley was on top but I still had the problem. Those old add on kits had mounting brackets that looked like they came out of some shop down the alley and I think they made them mount too low. Sounds like ONT240 got lucky or someone mod'd his mount. Clearance for the hose was a common problem.

Thanks, I may try your zip tie or other suggestion and see where that gets me. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the input.

I'm going to try that zx radiator hose suggestion. It's worth a shot... In the meantime, I did use a zip tie to pull the lower radiator hose slightly away from the A/C compressor pulley and everything seems good. No leaks and runs in the proper temp range. I am, however, registering a big fat zero on the oil pressure gauge. Before firing it up, I did check the oil, normal oil level. No valve tapping sounds, engine does not appear to be oil starved. Maybe the oil sending unit is bad?!?!?!?

"while your at it" You can make the fix permanent by having a piece of SS tubing bent up to fit perfect in YOUR engine bay. Just use a short section of rubber at each end to "take up" movement/vibration of the engine. I know its not the easiest fix, but looks/works great!

Scott.

"while your at it" You can make the fix permanent by having a piece of SS tubing bent up to fit perfect in YOUR engine bay. Just use a short section of rubber at each end to "take up" movement/vibration of the engine. I know its not the easiest fix, but looks/works great!

Scott.

That is an excellent idea. At the moment, I'm focusing on getting it running and "presentable" but I definitely see your suggestion on my to-do list for the future... Thanks!

Take your hose to your local auto part store. 99.9% of the time you will find a similar hose with a deeper bend or one slightly longer side that will solve your problem.

I've done that more than once.

Thanks, I'll take the old one with me and look for one that will clear where I'm having issues. Great suggestion!

... registering a big fat zero on the oil pressure gauge. Before firing it up, I did check the oil, normal oil level. No valve tapping sounds, engine does not appear to be oil starved. Maybe the oil sending unit is bad?!?!?!?

I removed the existing oil sending unit, cleaned it up. blew it out, cleaned the connection. Now it is working. I may pick up a new one to have on hand if this one really goes south.

• 3 years later...

Well it's 3-1/2 years later then this post that I stumbled across and I am having the same issue with my ARA - York Compressor for my 1972 240Z. The unit was installed on mine when I purchased it but removed during the restoration process. I am re-installing and truelly have clearance problems that look identical to the pictures above. The compressor definately is touching/resting on my lower radiator hose. Anyone find a fix to this situation. I remember the old lower radiator hose that I replaced appeared worn as well but want to avoid my new cloth braided hose getting this way as well.