HybridZ

Unusual Problem with selling a motor...

dustin280zx

I sold a motor and tranny at the beginning of July and the guy never picked it up yet. I talked to the guy for two hours or so when he came and looked at it and seemed real straight forward and nice fellow. I even drank a beer with him and that's saying something where I come from. He paid me in full (over a grand) and said he'd be back next week to pick it up. Well it is now October and I haven't heard a thing from him since the day he bought it. I've emailed him about 8 times saying that I would gladly take it to his house for him and I want it out of the garage. I don't have his number because it is "restricted" on my cell phone caller id or else I would try to call him. I don't know where the guy lives either. The only information I have is his email. I seriously have not heard from the guy since the day he bought it. This seems very unusual to me because if I pay for something, I want it in my possession especially when it is a large sum of money. I'm tired of this motor and tranny being in the garage taking up space. I've googled the guys name with no luck and I tried to find laws about this with no luck. I've thought about setting it outside and sending him an email that it is outside if he ever wants to pick it up, but I don't feel like ruining a good motor. I just think its weird because I have not heard a single "hi" from this fellow.

Options or Opinions?

Maybe he's in jail? Just sit on the stuff I guess?

I have thought about that, or maybe a bad accident.

I agree, I would just sell the engine again and put the money aside, hold onto to the money for as long as you think is reasonable.

I was thinking about doing that, but I wanted to make sure there isn't a law I'm breaking since he did buy it. I was told the if you sell something you have a certain amount of time to pick it up before you sell it again. I can not find any laws on it though.

Sorry I forgot..

Just send it to me, will ya...

I will advance you the money, (check), and just give the money to my shipper and keep the rest for your troubles.....................

That sounds like a really good idea. But I will only accept Certified Bank Cashiers checks. And I will send you the money the next day I cashed it, just to make sure it did not clear. I love getting emails from people like that on craigslist. HAHA.

I would say check with your phone company and see if they can give you that number or maybe get ahold of your local Police department to see if they can give you his info. They could at least ease you mind. I don't think you would be doing anything illegal if you sold it again. Just set his money off to the side. Just my.02

My father used to have a parking garage, and occasionally somebody would park a car and disappear. He would apply a "lien" on it after 200 days; there was a minor fee, and it was necessary to document a "reasonable attempt to contact the party". I would imagine the same situation applies to you; basically, he's storing his motor in your garage and is in arrears.

Most states have legal aid organization that can probably give you a definitive answer over the 'phone.

It would be a damn shame to do that if something unforeseen has happened to him, though.