HybridZ

Do I have a 1970 LT-1?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am the new and proud owner of a Chevy 350 powered 280Z. The engine is supposed to be an LT-1 from a 1970 Vette. I am not entirely sure I believe this, as there were only abouyt 1200 LT1 Vettes made in 1970. The 1970 LT1 had 4-bolt mains, forged crank and pistons, high lift cam, 11:1 compression, high rise manifold, and solid lifters, so I think I am right to be a little skeptical.

Question: Does anyone know how I can determine its true identity(or any of the above traits) without tearing the engine apart? I cannot find any identifying tags or stamps on the motor.

Guest Anonymous

I may be mistaken, but I believe they put the LT1's in the 1970 Camaro's as well. It was rated at 350hp.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Thanks! yes, Lone, the LT1 was offered in the Camaros as well, but I think it was still pretty rare. It was rated 370HP in the Vette. I will look for the numbers and see if I can make a positive ID.

Congrats on the new ride! What year of 280Z is it? Is your car setup like a Scarab or JTR? Is it a weekend car or a daily driver? Can we see pics? Will you send us money? Blah blah blah... icon_biggrin.gif

Davy

Brian, Congrats and Welcome!

The LT1 in the Camaro was put in the Z/28.

It was rated at 360hp in the Z/28. I'd think block and head casting numbers, plus the number stamped in the block just ahead of the left cylinder head, would be the way yo partially determine whether it's a true LT1. That stamped number is easily faked though.

Guest Anonymous

Davy,

The car is a '76 280Z. It's a Scarab type setup. I may convert to JTR later, but that currently falls under the catergory of "it ain't broke, so don't f-- with it."

Have several pics I could post. I'll give it a try. I have never been able to get pictures to post correctly to one of these boards.

Sure, I'll send you money. Just send me your checking account number and bank routing number and I'll deposit it straight into your account... hehehe :wink:

Thanks everyone for the responses to this and my other posts. It appears that this board will be an invaulable resource to assist with what will likely be a perpetual project.

Brian, by having the motor sit in the Scarab position means that it is broken. SuperDan (Owner of this site) finally broke down and swapped his Scarab setup to the JTR and his car is NO LONGER the same vehicle. Handling, braking, EVERYTHING is ten-fold better with the JTR position and I would recommend making that mod the first in your list. Ask others on this site, you'll get the same exact asnwer.

Mike Kelly icon_cool.gif

Hrm, I dunno... I know he's got exhaust problems and clutch problems. I guess I'd consider clutch first and let the exhaust fall where it may if he slides the motor back. It's a 4speed too so perhaps an OD trans, motmor move, and exhaust would be done all at once to avoid having to do the driveshaft twice. He's also got a mechanical fuel pump that will have to go. Adding that all together that's a pile of work! I won't argue that he'll probably like the car better with an OD and set back motor but he just got the car - let him drive it some first icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, moving the motor back - especially since you've gto iron heads - will make a big difference. Weight distribution will change for the better so braking and handling will improve. I'd fiddle with the little stuff, drive it to have fun, but be saving up to have the motor set back. Maybe have someone make the mounts for you to save money and come Winter start pulling it apart. icon_biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Does this have the Chevrolet high rise aluminum intake? All LT-1s did originally. Cylinder heads would be the easiest way to tell. First, should have accessory holes in ends. Pull the valve cover and look for screw in studs and guide plates. (may be able to see/feel in breather hole) If pressed, figure the rest of the info on motor is BS also. All factory screw in studs should be big valve (2.02/1.6)and have machined valve unshrouding in the side of the chamber. Expect a 186 or 492 casting most likely althoug 041 and 370 are also possible. LT-1 was rated at 360 hp in Camaro and 370 in 'vette. Only difference is manifolds/exhaust. The Corvette L-82 with cast iron intake manifold had large chamber heads with screw in studs as did the 71-72 LT-1s.