HybridZ

Automotive (Web Page) Rant...

Guest Rolling Parts

Guest Rolling Parts

So, I went to http://www.chevrolet.com to look up the new Camaro info.

WHY IN THE HECK do car companies seem the need to fill up their websites with so much flash and glitz and animation that you eventually give up in disgust?

I don't want the "Chevy Experience", nor do I care about "owners" or even to buy a sweatshirt from "The Camaro Collection". I don't care for a spiraling exploded view Camaro that makes it hard to even read the associated text. I don't even care for hovering transparent message boxes, I just want quick info about the car.

Why do manufactuers try to make everything some sort of cheezy video game experience? :twisted:

It's the market they're catering to. MB and BMW tend to have more business like sites with more readily accessible technical information, for those ancient old yuppies that for some reason need to know that their new 7 series or S class does indeed weigh more than Jupiter.

Chevrolet and Government Motors is trying to pitch to the 'younger' generation. That is the generation that is retarded and as such likes two things... Shiny things, and anything chemically treated (the mall, Sorority girls, McDonalds, Bud Light, basically anything that is bad)

...kind of like fish really.

• Administrators
That is the generation that is retarded and as such likes two things... Shiny things, and anything chemically treated (the mall, Sorority girls, McDonalds, Bud Light, basically anything that is bad)

...kind of like fish really.

You're killing me :lmao:

So, I went to http://www.chevrolet.com to look up the new Camaro info.

WHY IN THE HECK do car companies seem the need to fill up their websites with so much flash and glitz and animation that you eventually give up in disgust?

I don't want the "Chevy Experience", nor do I care about "owners" or even to buy a sweatshirt from "The Camaro Collection". I don't care for a spiraling exploded view Camaro that makes it hard to even read the associated text. I don't even care for hovering transparent message boxes, I just want quick info about the car.

Why do manufactuers try to make everything some sort of cheezy video game experience? :twisted:

That seems to be the trend for websites lately. Make them really cool looking. Cool animations, sounds when you roll over buttons, and of course, a royal pain in the ass to use.

• Administrators
That seems to be the trend for websites lately. Make them really cool looking. Cool animations, sounds when you roll over buttons, and of course, a royal pain in the ass to use.

Websites? It seems like most every consumer product produced & advertised has become a bad circus act.

• Administrators
Websites? It seems like most every consumer product produced & advertised has become a bad circus act.

Yeah, just look at the evolution of cel phones! How many are actually just phones? How many cel phones are at least as much phone as they are game machines/circus acts?

From...

new_cell_phone.jpg

To....

cel1-main_Full.jpg

Yeah, just look at the evolution of cel phones! How many are actually just phones? How many cel phones are at least as much phone as they are game machines/circus acts?

From...

new_cell_phone.jpg

To....

cel1-main_Full.jpg

Notice...

They're now shiny.

They're obviously chemically treated.

They're used by people chemically treated (at least three of them have some sorostitute ties... unless the masses have a massively decaying IQ only to be replaced by shiny fingers (SHINY AGAIN!))

I rest my case.

Guest Rolling Parts
How many are actually just phones? How many cel phones are at least as much phone as they are game machines/circus acts?

Google's site is dead simple (and Google is worth Billions).

GM's site is a flash-tastic seizure-inducing MTV video (and GM is worthless).

Sometimes people just want sites (and cars for that matter) that just simply work without 25 possible color gauge backlighting or "automatic crash response" (whatever the heck that Chevy advantage means).

Same deal with TV. Ever watch TV lately...in particular the "news" or whatever it is they call it? Same glitzy crap. You have at least three tickers, two frames, a few logos, and there is always a "Special Report" or "Breaking News". "Situations" fly across the screen with a whoosh sound effect that would knock grandma out of her rocker. I am not even going to get into the volume level change from feature, to commercials.

They realized that this generation has finally achieved "zombi-ness" and that it needs to be shaken, stirred, and whooshed, every two or three seconds. Enough to make it get off it's a$$ and go out and buy something.

Shiny is king!

They realized that this generation has finally achieved "zombi-ness" and that it needs to be shaken, stirred, and whooshed, every two or three seconds. Enough to make it get off it's a$$ and go out and buy something.

You can light a firecracker in someone's toes or under their ass and it still wont cause them to get off their ass and move.

...personal experience.

• Administrators
MAG58:

I'm 25, and I take offense to your statements about the "younger generation" and their supposed prevalence of only being capable of attr.....

...ooh....shiiiiiny.....

:lmao: MAG58 may come across in his posts as a much more mature person but the reality is, he is actually 5 years "younger" than you! :lmao:

easily-distracted-by-shiny-objects.jpg

Edited by BRAAP

MAG58:

I'm 25, and I take offense to your statements about the "younger generation" and their supposed prevalence of only being capable of attr.....

...ooh....shiiiiiny.....

Haha!!

Success! The twenty-something Old Crotchety Bastard Club strikes again!!

• Administrators

On the topic of shiny objects, my generation is not immune. Being 41, shiny objects can easily distract for hours on end. cool.gif

I received a package From Mike Knell, (Owner of JTR, author of THE conversion manual), full of cool little shiny pipeular goodies. Not content with just staring at them, had to fondle them, feel the smoothness of the finish, admire how the 40W cool white fluorescent light would refract off the various facets. sbav.gif The glint, glimmer of so many parts… I just had to set them up all pretty like and take some pics. RTz even came out to the shop and spent quite a few minutes admiring the shiny goodies.

Coll1.jpg

Taper2.jpg

Radiator hose reducer splices he is selling for various Hybrid Conversions

http://www.jagsthatrun.com

:lmao: MAG58 may come across in his posts as a much more mature person but the reality is, he is actually 5 years "younger" than you! :lmao:

I beg to differ, if you talk to my mother, she'd tell you I'm twenty years younger! And I'm not gonna age another minute damnit!

At any rate, my old man always used this phrase while talking about race cars while I was growing up...

"If it wont go, chrome it"

Using that logic, a wrong wheel drive vehicle, straight from my generation.

ctr%201.jpg

I beg to differ, if you talk to my mother, she'd tell you I'm twenty years younger! And I'm not gonna age another minute damnit!

At any rate, my old man always used this phrase while talking about race cars while I was growing up...

"If it wont go, chrome it"

Using that logic, a wrong wheel drive vehicle, straight from my generation.

ctr%201.jpg

The glare can blind your competitors. :icon45:

Hey I had a phone just like that.. Indestructable!. Hmm not shiny either. There may be something to that.

As for cars, since when is the most dreamed of car feature one that allows the car to park itself?

I have to spend extra $$$ on a car, and its greatest feature is that it parks itself?! wtf. I want a car that is cheaper, and gets better gas mileage AND is faster. Parks itself? whocares? I'm in the car anyways, I might as well do it myself. We are going to have a whole generation that can't manuever a car in a parking lot!

Oh on the same rant, why is Ford bragging about how fast the hybrid fusion is compared to Honda/Toyota? and it gets a whopping 15-20MPG LESS?! Who cares! Now you can buy a car that still has performance, and can make you feel good to say that it is a hybrid..even though it doesn't save the environment all that much or get very good mileage (in comparison) Yeeesh! 60mpg... its right up there with an early 90's civic (civic vx)

Frustrated with new fangled useless but expensive bling. I want another 240z.

Guest Rolling Parts

Frustrated with new fangled useless but expensive bling. I want another 240z.

I think about that every time I drive to work and look around at all the bloated hands-free backup-camera accessory mobiles the road. I'll always imaging how i would design a dead simple, light, well breathing 2 liter car with 2 seats that's designed for easy maintenance. That combination would cost no more than a Yaris (~$13K).

The scary conclusion that I came up with on WHY no one sells that kind of car is that most other people on the road around me like that their cars are dripping in electronic GPS navigation OnStar iPod CVT flip screen "pimp-my-ride" crap! The market sells what people will buy...

And yet,

All I want a brand new 432 S-30 JDM Z car!

picture.php?albumid=212&pictureid=1518