HybridZ

Getting good RPM signal on a Dyno

synthtk

I searched but didn't really find any info... for those of you that have Dyno'd your RB how are you picking up RPM?

I usually dyno on a DynoJet and we always have issues with the RPM signal being not synced correctly or going crazy above ~6000 RPM. The Dyno in question has an inductive pickup which we tried looping around the little pigtail off the ignitor and around the coil 1 wires but it never got a good reliable signal. Last time I went we ended up using an optical pickup w/ a mark on the crank pully which worked great until around 400 ft/lbs of torque and the car seemed to move too much for the optical to work...

Thanks

-Chris

Use the white wire going to coil #1. It has always worked well for me with my cheap actron timing light and on the dyno where they verified timing with a $$$ snapon light. I've been on two dyno jets and they were able to pick up rpm with it.

On the Mustang there is a gearing option to take drum speed and interpolate engine rpm. Input ratio of total gear you will make your pulls in (ours fourth is 1:1, and the final drive is 3.70 so that makes it easy...), and make the runs. Of course if you slip your clutch, or the tires have slippage on the roller...it skews.