HybridZ

New 2010 Ford Tarus SHO, Twin Turbo

JSM

I think it may be good for someone in my category, kinda just a little under middle age with wife and kids. I can't DD the Z due to my life (running kids around, and the car seat just won't fit right in the Z). I like to have a four door family car that will still be exciting to drive on longer trips. I have had multiple bad experiences with Ford though, and they have a long way to go to get me back.

I think it may be good for someone in my category, kinda just a little under middle age with wife and kids. I can't DD the Z due to my life (running kids around, and the car seat just won't fit right in the Z). I like to have a four door family car that will still be exciting to drive on longer trips. I have had multiple bad experiences with Ford though, and they have a long way to go to get me back.

I would get a W124 long before I got a ford for a Family car. I bet it would be way more fun as well...

Though Datsun does have a solution for you...

810blue.JPG

And Mat, I'm going to guess they used two smaller turbos since it wouldn't require extra space in that tupperware filled engine bay (pack them under the cylinder banks) and with a V6 it would make for a less messy exhaust routing as the downpipes off the turbos could be plumbed up just like any other V6 at that point.

The problem with the W is affordability, I'm just a lowly aircraft mechanic and a 1500.00 maintenance bill would kill me. And I already have one hole in my head (Datsun) do you really think I need another? It's also nice to make the 400 mile trek down to Grandmas without worrying the car won't make it. The though of being broke down on the side of the road with the family gives me the willies!

Agreed. I have no idea what you can possibly put in a car to make it weigh over 2 tons. Perhaps lead?

And You'd be surprised how the mid 90's cars compare price wise to the current crop of money pits. Both the W124 and BMW's 5 series are both seen to be a high cost investment, with the repair costs certain to keep it inhibitory. However, if you're willing to do the work yourself, the cost is not much different part for part than many of the other vehicles on the road. The stealerships have just successfully been able to get people to believe that only the dealer has the magic to fix one. A good FSM and it's no different from working on any other 90's era big sedan. Both the german offerings from bmw and mb offer vehicles that imo are going to be substantially more reliable than the current crop of 2+ ton monsters thundering about the streets. The only company I'm not a fan of is Audi, As I cannot see what logic was at work when they decided to put the entire engine, an iron V6 or V8 in front of the centerline of the front axle. Having all that crammed in the front makes for a big ol PITA to work on.

As far as expensive bills, a friend of mine just had his clutch replaced at the stealership in his 98 eclipse for a cool $1100.00. Pass.

Back on topic, I think there is one good thing here. Twin turbo, 360hp alloy V6?

Who wants to turn it the correct way and stuff it in the Z?

Could be, but yours has to be LSx Leg humper!

...though I do want a LSx in a W201. Oh dear. Oh dear.

Ahem, AGAIN! Back on topic.

Reading the reviews of the SHO, it's praised for it's impressive power delivery while still getting decent mileage, however it is spoiled with poor handling due to it's weight and nose heavy weight distribution.

When are we going to get to the point were adding so much weight to a car in the event of making it safer and more user friendly (for today's current crop of fish-minded people that couldn't use that super technical 3rd pedal) that it actually makes the vehicle more dangerous?

You really need to move to aussie, they have the Falcon there that does everything you ask. solid, simple, robust, 4.0L turbo straight six, seats 5. It's low tech compared to the fancy schmancy Schick you get in the US, but it goes and keeps going, and the ADR saftey requirements are pretty close to the US ones. the Holden Commodore is the G8 of GM USA, so if the holdens can be shipped over with no modification other thn cosmetic panelwork, why not the Typhoon F6 or the XR6?

Agreed. I have no idea what you can possibly put in a car to make it weigh over 2 tons. Perhaps lead?

And You'd be surprised how the mid 90's cars compare price wise to the current crop of money pits. Both the W124 and BMW's 5 series are both seen to be a high cost investment, with the repair costs certain to keep it inhibitory. However, if you're willing to do the work yourself, the cost is not much different part for part than many of the other vehicles on the road. The stealerships have just successfully been able to get people to believe that only the dealer has the magic to fix one. A good FSM and it's no different from working on any other 90's era big sedan. Both the german offerings from bmw and mb offer vehicles that imo are going to be substantially more reliable than the current crop of 2+ ton monsters thundering about the streets. The only company I'm not a fan of is Audi, As I cannot see what logic was at work when they decided to put the entire engine, an iron V6 or V8 in front of the centerline of the front axle. Having all that crammed in the front makes for a big ol PITA to work on.

Is far as expensive bills, a friend of mine just had his clutch replaced at the stealership in his 98 eclipse for a cool $1100.00. Pass.

Back on topic, I think there is one good thing here. Twin turbo, 360hp alloy V6?

Who wants to turn it the correct way and stuff it in the Z?

IMHO all Ford SHO's were one of Ford's better ideas. How well do they run? Well, the engine in the new SHO is also in Lincoln's new hot rod so if that Lincoln can outperform BMW, Mercedes, and Maserati's there might be hope in the Ford lineup for us. Check out this piece: 6versus8.com I'm sure there will be comments.

g

Edited by zgeezer
Grammar & spelling

A 365hp twin turbo sounds pretty sweet...

until you get to the 5.2 sec 0 to 60, 4,361 lb curb weight, automatic transmission, standard FWD, 133 mph governor, and "The curb weight and loose steering contribute to the presence of understeer and causes the car to handle poorly when taking turns at high-speeds"

everything I don't want in a car

Does anyone else find it interesting that they picked a place of very high altitude to test a turbo V6 vs NA V8's?

I do.

If motor trend wants real results they can do it on ground level where the rest of the world lives. But that probably means the new lincoln 'hot rod' would not have a chance.