HybridZ

Removing the engine???

wolfsburgedition

Hi,

I am in the process of lifting my engine out of my car and I was wondering about where the best places are to grab the engine from. I have a hoist that I borrowed and I am picking up a chain tomorrow (Tues). I feel like a dong asking, but I figured instead of guessing, ask those that know. Thanks for looking.

I remember my '78 had two lifting eyes in the engine for this purpose but I suppose that over the years these were removed in many cars. The front one on the spark plug side where the mechanical fuel pump would go, the other is at the rear attached to the last manifold stud by the firewall. They provide a very balanced lifting point for the engine and tranny package.

I remember my '78 had two lifting eyes in the engine for this purpose but I suppose that over the years these were removed in many cars. The front one on the spark plug side where the mechanical fuel pump would go, the other is at the rear attached to the last manifold stud by the firewall. They provide a very balanced lifting point for the engine and tranny package.

Got a picture for you:

100_2348.jpg?t=1255449476

I took mine off because it looks ugly :) I have them sitting in a box next to the other L28s in the parts room.

The other one is usually on the cyl #6 Exhaust stud like Giorgio said. You can barely see it in this picture:

100_2701-1.jpg?t=1255449979

Like others, I used exhaust studs threaded into the last exhaust mounting hole on #6 and one of the M8 holes on the front passenger side of the head. I used chains and torqued down on it with a nut and one of the thick exhaust washers.

2009-09-20081625.jpg

Edited by rossman
added pic

All great ideas. Thank you one and all. I'll try one...if it doesn't work, I'll try another...and so on and so on...

Like others, I used exhaust studs threaded into the last exhaust mounting hole on #6 and one of the M8 holes on the front passenger side of the head. I used chains and torqued down on it with a nut and one of the thick exhaust washers.

2009-09-20081625.jpg