HybridZ

itb setup?

vega

ok then... sorry im just kind of well overexcited about the new project guys....

Been there, it's pretty easy to forget that little search button sometimes.

That said, if you're going with extrudabody ITB's, pics of the project are required. Or we will find you.

im talking with a buddy of mine who helped some guy put a gm ecu on his l28e + turbo setup in some old z. we figure we should get the car running on the gm ecu first then go turbo and itb setup included.

ive never seen an itb on a turbo motor before and i just saw a pic of an l28 on google with itbs and a turbo but it did not show how it was routed to the the itbs. so im curious how that would work..... more than 1 turbo? i dunno any one got more pics of that car? thats how i found that site.

http://extrudabody.com/images/turbo_z.jpg

picture of the setup i was saying on the site...

Dude that setup is totaly FTW!!! i would love to fab up something like that for a turbo Z! I'd like to learn how to fabricate better than ghetto first but damn thats beautiful! i wonder how that sounds? i wish i got video at work lol

~J

im talking with a buddy of mine who helped some guy put a gm ecu on his l28e + turbo setup in some old z. we figure we should get the car running on the gm ecu first then go turbo and itb setup included.

ive never seen an itb on a turbo motor before and i just saw a pic of an l28 on google with itbs and a turbo but it did not show how it was routed to the the itbs. so im curious how that would work..... more than 1 turbo? i dunno any one got more pics of that car? thats how i found that site.

Who's your buddy?

AFAIK, I'm the only one to use a GM ECM on a Turbo L28.

I would be interested in seeing someone else had done thiers.

he actually used your info hey nice to meet you! any tips? i have all your pictures and all that involve it.

http://domestic.3400z24.com/sixshooter/My%20vehicles/Datsun/Under%20hood/DIS%20conversion/

http://www.code59.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=38&func=view&id=6499&catid=10

but i don't see to much explanation to it. like dimensions of the crank pulley and all and the exact years i need of sensors etc. unless i missed it i have not gotten a chance to look through all of your stuff. pardon me if i intrude.

he actually used your info hey nice to meet you! any tips? i have all your pictures and all that involve it.

http://domestic.3400z24.com/sixshooter/My%20vehicles/Datsun/Under%20hood/DIS%20conversion/

http://www.code59.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=38&func=view&id=6499&catid=10

but i don't see to much explanation to it. like dimensions of the crank pulley and all and the exact years i need of sensors etc. unless i missed it i have not gotten a chance to look through all of your stuff. pardon me if i intrude.

Cool, I'd like to see pictures of his set-up.

I haven't posted specifics of wheel dimentions or anything like that, because, the wheel size can actually vary, depending on the application. If I would have made that wheel for the Datsun specifically, I would have made it in a smaller diameter. The wheel that I am using was orginally made for my S-15 Jimmy, that I used an early 2.8L RWD block on that doesn't have provisions for a crank trigger, so I had go external with it.

Since that project is not together right now and will be using a FWD block in it next time, I decided to just use the wheel in the Datsun, use what you already have, right? ;)

There really isn't any specific years that need to be used for the sensors, per-se, because the parts that can be used, not only have a fairly wide range of years that they were used, but there are also other variations that could be used. Such as the throttle body. A GM throttle body (TB) doesn't have to be used, but it did, in my case make it easier to integrate the IAC and TPS, along with changing to a cable actuated throttle.

But just to put some specifics up:

The TB I used can be found on '96 to 2004 3400 V6. I will be swapping to a smaller TB, since I believe I am experiancing the same phenominon as I did with my truck, where a smaller TB worked better, and made more bottom end torque. The 3400 TB is 56mm, the TB I am swapping to, is from the "small port" 3100, made between late '93 in some vehciles (others retained the older genII version of the engine), up to 1999. The small port 3100 TB is 52mm.

The throttle cable was from a mid to late '90s Buick IIRC, I just don't recall the model, the cable is quite long though, and can be recognized by the way it is routed through the engine bay, where it actually wraps around the engine bay. LOL The car the cable came from also had a 3100 in it.

The DIS ignition module I used is the same one that is used on the genII and genIII 60 degree V6, this spans from 1987 to 2004, mostly FWD applications, but there was one RWD application that used this ignition set-up as well, and that is the '93 to '95 3.4L F-body (Firebird/Camaro).

If a dizzy is going to be used than the 280Z dizzy works well, after locking both the mechanical and vacuum advance to be solid, then connecting to a dizzy ICM, such as what would be found in a 2.8L S-10. This is what I used for the first few months I had my swap running, since I didn't have time to swap the DIS in initially.

The Coolant temp sensor, was also pulled from a 3100, but really any of the GM CTS sensors from the late '80s to about 2004 will work. Some com in the "two wire" flavour, while some are "three wire". The difference is the two-wire is for ECM signal only, and the 3 wire is for ECM signals as well as a gauge sender. I have a 3 wire in my car right now, but I am only using the wire connections for the ECM.

The MAT sensor also has a wide range of available years. Mostly found in turbo applications, such as the Turbo Sunbird, Skyhawk, Grand AM, but also found in the late '90s 2.0L Cavalier. I can't recall for sure, but the N/A 2.0L OHC used in the Sunbird, may also have the same MAT sensor. For turbo applications I prefer to use the threaded ones that can be installed in the intake manifold directly, to get the air temp measurment as close to the cylinder as feasible. N/A applications, can use the air box or intake tube mounted plastic IAT sensors, since the air temp doesn't change as much in N/A applications as it does in a turbo application.

The ECM can be a few variations. The ECM service number I am using is a 1227749, this was found in the Syclone/Typhoon, Turbo Sunbird (Turbo Grand Am should be the same), and a couple Quad 4 applications, but I don't recall the excat years of those. Another ECM that works well is the 1227730, which is much more common. These are both underdash mount ECMs. There are also other ECM service numbers that will work, but are just newer replacements of the original service numbers.

If you wanted an under hood mount ECM, you can use the 1227727, this is found in W-bodies (Cutlass, Monte Carlo, etc) in the early to mid '90s. There are a couple other service numbers as well, same again, newer updates and running revisions of the ECM.

The other thing that will be a factor is which ECM to use is if you will be using high or low-Z injectors. If you are using high-Z injectors any of the above mentioned ECMs will work, if you are using Low-Z, you will want the 1227749, since it has two injector drivers, where as the other's only have one injector driver. Also a 6 or 8 cylinder application with Low-Z injectors will require a sense resistor modification to enable proper peak and hold function of the injector drivers. 4 cylinder applications can use Low-Z injectors, without modification. The turbo Sunbird used Low-Z injectors stock.

The wire harness I used was pulled from a 1988 Cavalier, and modified to fit my truck, then I transfered the same harness into the Datsun. You can also use harnesses from L-bodies (Beretta/Corsica), and many other FWD vehicles of the late '80s and early '90s. This harness will work with the '7730/'7749, the '7727 would require a harness from the W-body to match up with the plugs.

Anything else you want to know? :mrgreen:

Sorry to get a bit off topic of the ITB discussion, but there's no reason why the GM ECM won't be able to run what you have planned.