HybridZ

Looking for pictures of Z cars with WIRE WHEELS

• 1 month later...

Good question Logan1! I have been on a bit of a search for exactly this: some cool wire wheels. As I noted in a post in the 'show your wheels thread' on this site, I am looking for an older european/aston martin look, complete with wire wheels.

I hear you MONGO510, they are a real pain to keep clean: recall how many MGB's came with them, and how many still look good. More importantly, if they are older (used) wheels they also need maintenance to avoid run out (i.e., tighten spokes if they are real old, etc) .However, I am still willing to do it as i think the look could really rock if done right. new ones from Dayton and from Dunlop have that OEM look but without the issues associated with older wire wheels. Classic MotorSports from july 2003 has a good article on them, aimed at brit car owners but useful for the rest of us.

One key variable in wire wheels is the centre caps: on Borani's like the ones you find on older masers and Ferraris the centre knock offs are quite large. I am not sure that exact look work so well for the 260z, so I am hoping for something with a more discrete (non-knock-off) cap.

the other variable is the number of spokes and their location in relation to the outer edge of the rim. a 72 spoke wheel looks good IMO, but there is the issue of cleaning all those spokes, and with that many there is not much room for hands tools and clothes. But I find the 48 spoke look too spare. I personally like the spokes close to the outer edge: I think this is a more classic look.

The pic of the red zed below is what got me started: i pm'd the person who supplied the pic but didn't hear back. I was hoping to get the maker and specs for the wheels but no go so far. But I just loooove the look.

borani pic1_thumb.jpg

boranis on maser_thumb.jpg

Dayton-Wheels-2b_thumb.jpg

18672_thumb.attach

• 3 weeks later...