HybridZ

Hydraulic Lock on Big Rear Brake Upgrade?

I picked up a great deal for upgrading the brakes on my 1971 240Z. 1989 Toyota 4 Runner calipers on 300Z finned rotors front and back. Of course the rear calipers do not support the existing e-brake. I have heard mention of a hydraulic line lock that works very well. Can anyone tell me how I would add that feature? Thanks, Kevin

A hydraulic line lock will never work very well. Make sure you always have a brick behind your rear wheels because the pressure will drop sooner than later. At which point you will be chasing your car...if it hasnt already stopped in some ones living room.

I picked up a great deal for upgrading the brakes on my 1971 240Z. 1989 Toyota 4 Runner calipers on 300Z finned rotors front and back. Of course the rear calipers do not support the existing e-brake. I have heard mention of a hydraulic line lock that works very well. Can anyone tell me how I would add that feature? Thanks, Kevin

A hydraulic line lock will never work very well. Make sure you always have a brick behind your rear wheels because the pressure will drop sooner than later. At which point you will be chasing your car...if it hasnt already stopped in some ones living room.

Agreed. The point of adding a line lock is for driving on hills. A line lock can really only hold the car for about a minute before the fluid leaks back down. If you're using it to battle those annoying drivers that run up to your bumper on a hill start, the line lock is a good call. If you're looking for something to keep your car from running for freedom after you shut it down for the night, a few well placed pieces of masonry is the way to go.

I thought we all agreed that they were bad for being a parking brake aswell? it'll need to be able to hold itself in place on a slope to, only so much tow straps can do on a trailer.

No, that was the line lock, a hydraulic e-brake is its own matercylinder and handle. what all the hard core drifters use.

No, that was the line lock, a hydraulic e-brake is its own matercylinder and handle. what all the hard core drifters use.

ill seriously look into this, I looked it up, from what I gathered it runs a hydraulic brake line, much like the motocycle hydraulic brake lines? Im ordering two tommorow hopefully, one for the customer, and one for me, I could always hook it up to my rear drums just for fun and see If I can get these old stubborn drums to actually lock up for a slide.