HybridZ

S30 Window Regulator Rebuild Questions

cencalz

I'm rebuilding the window regulator on my 72. The first question I have is does anyone know what the type of grease was used by the factory on the regulator? The second question is how much play should there be on the two arms of the scissor? I notice there is a wave washer between them, so it has to have some play.

I would think that plain old axle grease would suffice. Over time, the lube gets contaminated with dust and grit and also loses much of it's lubricity (petroleum evaporation?). As for play, who knows? As any regulator used regularly over 30+ years is going to have slop. As long as the arms are falling apart there should be little concern IMHO.

i was thinking about caliper grease since its water and weather proof meaing it stays good all year and does not fade from heat or hot summer days. plus its only 99 cents a pack. i dont see why it wouldnt work! lithium is also a recomendation.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would something like the RedLine racing CV-2 high temperature grease with moly in it be inferior to generic off the shelf white lithium grease in this case? Any particular reason? Is there specific dirt or moisture retaining properties that white lithium has over a more expensive grease like RedLine? I'm honestly asking.

• 6 months later...

I didn't want to start a new thread about something small so I just hijacked this one. My question is if the arms on the regulator are supposed to be twisted like this?

hpim0963a.th.jpg

hpim0962.th.jpg

It's the passenger side of my 74' 260Z. Window rolled down but wouldn't roll back up.

Edited by Grim