HybridZ

DIY bump-steer adjustable tie rod ends.

Main concern now is whether the rod end will clear the 14" wheels.

If you're using bump steer spacers I don't think you'll have much room at all. If you get rid of the spacers, then you'll have a little room, but not much. My experience says you only need about 1/2" of LCA movement to fix the problem, so you'd probably need the same on the tie rod side if your LCA pivot hole is stock. My guess is you could squeeze that in, but it will probably be tight. That is just a guess.

jt,

No I didn't sorry. The H-bracket technique I read about on here for measuring it is beyond me at this point. I want to drive the car again, don't have a welder to make such a bracket, and cbf pulling the suspension out again to remove the spring.

Jon I think is on the money with it requiring about the same as if the inner control arm pivot point was moved upwards. So about 1/2" Don't think I'll be able to get there due to the small wheels, but we'll see I guess.

Dave

Edited by thehelix112
Typo.

Got them installed today.

The min wall thickness is 2mm on the hole thats drilled to 5/8ths. So thats 93thou. Sound reasonably safe?

With the rod end spaced downwards from the steering arm 1/2" (think this more or less replicates the stock tierod end pivot location) there is around 4mm clearance to the wheel balancing weight. This is on 14" wheels. What do you guys think are the chances of the 5/8" grade 8 bolts bending 4mm?

Hopefully slim, the tyres I think would let go before it generated that much lateral acceleration (195 crap street tyres).

With the rod ends wound all the way in, I am getting just a tad of toe-in, this is with lower control arms that have been lengthened 30mm or so. So fits fine for me, but on a different install might need to trim them down a bit.

Pics (trimmed down the 5/8" bolt and added a spring washer since pics):

CIMG00681.jpg

CIMG0073.jpg

CIMG0081.jpg

Look ok?

Thanks,

Dave

Looks great, pretty close to the wheel. If you are worried about the wheel weight you could get your wheels rebalanced dynamically and have the shop use the adhesive stick on weights rather than the clip-on lead weights. If you get worried about the stick on weights flying off, I've seen racers use the aluminum tape over top the weights you see on duct work...not actual duct tape.

Where did you source your high-misalignment rod ends and how much were they?

I think I'll just leave it as is, will fine a safe place to do some spirited driving (not a lot) and see if the weight gets scratch marks on it. If so, will start on the mods. Plan is for 15" wheels, which hopefully will help.

Good idea on the stick-on weights. :)

Thanks for the comments Jon. I'm afraid I didn't source the rod-ends. They came with the zforce rear control arms, but I felt they were not appropriate, so I just reused them and sourced more normal replacements. But I think they are either PCM or PCM-T QA1 rod ends.

Dave

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...