HybridZ

Garrett GT35-R surge questions.

big-phil

on some of the newer cummins diesel engines the turbo has shaft speed sensors.i would assume this is used as an input to the engine ecm.the engine ecm would use this to compute the output for the vgt adjustor servo on the turbo.engine has no waste gate-the vgt just lets some of the exhaust gas by on the turbine side.some of the newer after markit efi systems can use turbine speed and control a vgt

My GAWD Randy, I was JUST told 'a bleeder system will still be better' than a shaft sensor system maintaining tip speed of the turbo at optimum for best boost characteristics and modulation. Imagine that, someone independently posting trade data about current developments in turbocharger technology from the OEM's and how aftermarket places are now making offerings that allow adjustment in a better range?

Some guys here need to realize I did service at Garrett R&D, and was in there quarterly where I got to see all sorts of stuff that is just now (5 years later) showing up on OEM applications.

But hey, I'm sure a bleeder system controlled by a MS will work loads better than shaft speed control via VNT. Because it's an 'idea' man, because it's an 'idea'! :huh::rolleyes::blink:

• 1 month later...

tony-on those cummins turbos there was a sleeve running in the turbo right behind the turbine.the actuator would push or pull the sleeve closer to the turbine-changing the a/r ratio.on cold start these engines would pull the sleeve all the way to the turbine-you would hear the turbo spool up then it would release.

• 7 months later...