HybridZ

Brand spanken new Datsun Fan

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have recently gotten very interested in the old Datsun 240 and 280 and was wondering what modifications I can put into it to give it more HP and speed, but not cost me more then the car itself cost (about $2000). all ideas, tips and pointers will help. Thanks

The best bang for yer buck is probably the chevy 350 swap. Difficulty rating of 7.5/10, starting at about $1000. Some fabrication required.

The most common swap is an L28 motor (if you don't already have one in it) with tuned or performance carbs, hotter cam, 5 speed and a lower rear gear ratio. Difficulty of 6/10 (used engine swap) or 7/10 (rebuild engine). No rebuild starts at maybe $800, rebuilt starts at $1200ish.

Another popular swap is an L28 turbo engine from an 81-83 280zx turbo. This requires modification to some or all of the following: fuel tank, lines, and pump; rewiring engine compartment harness for zxt EFI; changing clutch to match larger flywheel; larger exhaust; intercooler and all associated tubing; adding boost gauge, maybe air/fuel gauge; I'm sure I'm missing something...Difficulty 8/10. Nothing too hard, just LOTS of little things, most of which are very important. Could be the cheapest swap, if your car already has EFI, and you get a good deal on a donor zxt. Starting at roughly $800 into a 280z, about $1200 into a 240z.

There aren't many other options under $2k. I know you said modifications and not engine swaps, but in my opinion, if you have 2 grand you WANTED to spend on a Z, a swap is the way to go.

im sorry i have to step in here and offer my opinion. The guy is brand new to datsun and he may not be up for the 350 swap right away. I also dont believe that 350's are all that great that most of the people here claim they are. But also keep in mind i have been in a 350sb Z a few times and woooooooweeeeeee! NICE!

I stand by what i say here. the best bang for your buck has got to be the turbo L28. whatcha gonna spend on something like that? Id say about $400 tops for the engine running if you look around and get a proper deal. The engine drops right in and still uses the stock mounts for everything engine and tranny. i dont see how much easier it can get than that. on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the most difficult, the turbo engine would be a 1 on my scale.

Ask tony fruzza and other turbo L28 guys and im sure they will also agree with me. When that boost kicks in, goodbye mr V8.

A 1 out of 10 difficulty for a turbo motor swap, huh? Have you even done this swap, that sounds a little too low. The last thing we want to do is make him think this swap can be done with a blindfold on, this isn't like watercolors or something, done wrong=blown engine. I see you drive an EFI/NA z. I couldn't assume he had an EFI z yet, now could I? I was including things like running new fuel lines, welding baffles in his fuel tank, And if his car was carbed, there is almost no wires in the engine compartment, things like fusible links and relays must be added.

I didn't suggest any of the swaps to him. He wanted to know his options, that's all.

As far as HP per dollar, chevy 350 is top dog. You gotta really know what you're doing to push a turbo motor up to the power levels a 350 comes with stock. Turbos have alot of potential power, but they don't come that way stock.

I drive an L28 turbo, NPR, 420cc inj., T3/4. But that doesn't mean I'll only advise turbo swaps. Think hybrid, and any which way.

Guest Anonymous

This is my two cents: Most V8 swaps i've seen have major issues with weight distribution unless done correctly. Not only that but they are an ordeal requiring extensive nwknolege of both datsun chassis and electronics and whatever type of engine you are dropping.

As far as your 1000$ qoute for the swap, well frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif name one damn person whose dropped a 350 in for under that much. No FFing way. Motor and tranny run you at least 500$. Rad, mounts, speedo, headers 600$. Driveline, exhaust 350$. Over the limit already, and those are only basics. There are at least $500 of little gremlins that you are going have to iorn out. And it is always going to take 4 times longer than you thought cuz there is always something you forgot to do. You cant shoe string it like that unless you have the hook-up on components or can weld yourself (damn :mad: ).

Lord, I wish you could do it for a grand. I know i would-i'd sell my webers and roll with chevy power in a second. I am spending that much just to assemble my L28.

But I watched my friend struggle for three months to install a ford 302 into a 240z, and the motor came straight out of a crashed hybrid 280z! He cut so many corners as it was.

As far as high po, I cant recomened you anything cuz my triple weber bias( malebitchslap.gif yeah but i got the hookup.). Each setup (hybrid vs. high po straight 6) has its individual pros and cons. If you have money to burn i would say hybrid is the way to go because you can squeze an insane amount of horsepower out of a stroked 383-Look no farther than the 9 sec datsun 383 sbc w/nos around here.

But shop around. Look at everyone's setup here. Price shop for essential components. Keep in mind your $ limit. And keep an open mind.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i'd say sell the $2000 car, and go on ebay, zdriver.com, zcar.com, or here and buy one that already has the engine and stuff you want in it. then you can deal with your "modifications". it's sooooo much easier when someone else does all the work for you. plus, you have a better base to build from right away. argue with me guys, i dare you!! buying it pre-made is a lot easier. and i know there are v8z's selling on here a few every month. do that, dump your car, buy one with the engine already, or....better yet, take the 2 grand you were gonna spend on mods, buy the pre-made v8z, and combine your 2 cars into 1 bad mofo. my opinion only, even if it does stink.....

Originally posted by Cusp:

I see you drive an EFI/NA z. I couldn't assume he had an EFI z yet, now could I? I was including things like running new fuel lines, welding baffles in his fuel tank

yes but he also said he was interested in the 280's. Now that would be plug and play for everything. Change out the fuel pump, have the exhaust fixed a bit, and you are set. Turbo components all plug and play in a 77-78 harness.

Guest bigjim240z

ok..this is my opinion...get a turbo long block..slap on 77 280z harness computer along with a turbo air flow meter, fuel pump and injectors and of course the turbo and manifold and you got your self a super easy turbo swap that works!

Now I see your angle Dave. (whispered) um, yeah, that's about a 1/10...

I hope I didn't come across harsh in my reply, just trying to give RequiemMass all the options. I guess I was a bit shortsighted in my response, thinking from a 240z standpoint. I've got a '72, and I just remember how much extra stuff I had to do because of the carb-to-EFI swap. I've never had my hands in a 280z, just my 240z with the carbs, and now the turboed setup.

Nothin but love here :D

Guest Anonymous

I'd have to disagree with weight distribution, while slightly more weight (the V8 SBC, Ford weight isn't even a issue and even better), its back further and lower than the L6 ever thought of being.

Financially, I'd agree the turbo L28 would be the way to go as far as bang per buck to a certain point. Once you get to a certain point the chevy swap is cheaper. 400 hp out of a chevy is a cam, cheap heads and carb and manifold and its tune is still very streetable.

Thats MY opinion and take it for what is worth as without being rude, I could GARA which side of the fence a person wants to stand on, it seems this fence is building here between the V8 guys and the L6 guys which is odd because of the main mission of the original website was V8 based. It doesn't matter though, either way will get you down the road and either way will lighten your wallet one way or another, speed is expensive, the faster the more expensive in either camp. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,

Lone

it all depends on what you like more. at the time, i was really into muscle, so i had me a muscle ass z car, now im into smooth driving-but i dont want to be slow, and ibelieve i know these z cars in and out, spent enough time lying underone to know, so i went turbo. handling, driving, time slips whatever, what it boils down to to me is having a great car and what you think a great car is. i will drive my turbo car to las vegas right now im so confident in its reliabilty, i couldve done it in my v8 car, if i had od, but you know me, any v8 car that i ever do from now on out has to have a four speed, dont care i love me them four speeds.

now for hp and torque-i think the v8s have it, getting it down is the issue i think with the v8 guys, is getting it to the ground and taking care of issues relavent to any car that goes under such a radical transformation-and to me that is where the initial cost is greater, but hopping it up once you got drivetrain locked down is no big deal, mail order companies thrive off sbc parts, and they are so competitive that they get real cheap, plus kragen has sbc parts lying in the shelves like there is no tommorow.

the turbo swap has to be the cheapest, i layed that sucker down in a matter of days from drop to drive. but to get high hp out of the motor and outstanding top end, you have to start really doing your research and start fortifying that sucker, but in the end it will fast as hell.

l28 with carbs in a 240z, its good power too, and that one will take anyone with two friends and a cherry picker half a day turn the key and be happy.

i dont have outright nasty power goals for my car, but i aint buildin me no punk thats for dang sure, im going for around 250 or rwhp-believe me that much in a z car is enough to take down most things on the street, i had around 250 in my v8 car and was smoking things left and right. but i seek to maintain ultimate drivability and the style that comes with driving these bad ass cars.

if you like raw muscle power-v8-be prepared for intense prep, fab, and labor, and somewhat inexpensive to hop up.(stock block will take 100 shot if healthy, believe me i know.)

turbo-good power, great gas, going real fast will get expensive quick, but drives lighter, and you make a whoosh noise.

the choice is yours.