HybridZ

leaked coolant when retorquing head gasket

I built up a block and ive put a few hundred miles on it so i was going to loosen and re torque the head bolts. well when I loosened the head bolts some coolant leaked. Not to much but this definitetely concerned me. Ive never re torqued the head bolts before so I dont know if this is normal but it doesnt seem like it should be. Do I have the replace the head gasket again now?

Yea, re-torquing head bolts is done one at a time on a cold engine. Loosen one, re-torque to spec, in the factory order of installation. If you lifted the head enough to with the engine full of coolant enough to spill any, odds are you have quite a bit in your oil and vise-versa. Take a very close look at your oil for any signs of milkyness - a change of oil and flush of coolant system may very well be in order.

Yea, re-torquing head bolts is done one at a time on a cold engine. Loosen one, re-torque to spec, in the factory order of installation. If you lifted the head enough to with the engine full of coolant enough to spill any, odds are you have quite a bit in your oil and vise-versa. Take a very close look at your oil for any signs of milkyness - a change of oil and flush of coolant system may very well be in order.

Okay, so the fluids may have mixed a little bit, but do you guys think the gasket itself will be fine?

I had a head gasket get oil on it during assembly due to some oil that was still pooled in a stud hole. That gasket never sealed right. I had to change it again. You could get lucky but I would consider it a marginal part at this point. Use with extreme caution. Keep your eyes peeled.

• 2 weeks later...