HybridZ

Welder choices

Guest Anonymous

I believe 2 years is the period for testing. They las t forever, virtually at least. I get mine filled where I "bought" them. They don't actually fill them but swap them out. If they are out of date, they charge you for a Hydrotest when you swap. It's about $25 if I remember. The second tank I had was first Hydrotest stamped 1935. The 1937 stamp had a Swastika next to it!! I don't think I had ever seen a tank with so many stamps, but it was still going! (Wonder if it was ever a Messerschmitt Nitrous bottle?) :eek:

well, theres no way i could use a cutting torch for welding on body or frame stuff right. I guess i could get a torch to fool around with and get some practice. but the real reason i want to learn how to weld is so i can work on my Z. We'll see.

Mike,

The usual life of a bottle is five years, if it is stamped with a star, then it's 10 years from the printed date. That date only applies to transportation, and not useage. ie...if it is past its inspection date, it can still be use 'legally' but cannot be transported by public roads.

That is covered by 49 CFR, which only applies to Intrastate and interstate commerce, so if it's for personal use, the expiration dates on the bottles are irrelevent.

Tim

Reading everyones post is all good information. I purchased a Lincoln 135 plus which allows me to lay down a bead just fine. The 110amp give you the ability to weld thinner metals without distortion. Tig is best for fine line work, and plasma cutter is tops for cutting. However, if you are starting out with a limited budget, then consider the Mig 135 units or better. For cutting OA is ok, lots of heat produced, air disc cutter or shear is good, and there is always the sawzall! Options only limited to your budget, and experience. However you look at it...its all good.

Comps, VAN 2thumbs.gif