HybridZ

Bumper rip off?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine that taking off the bumper will net a 2-3mpg increase. Not with the aero the Z has. The Z isn't weight limited, it's brick wall limited.

yea, like i said. not much.This coming from a car that gets 17-18 mpg

First off, if you are only getting 17-18 mpg in any stock S30, you need to tune up your car and quit running so rich. That is NOT what your Datsun should be giving you unless you've built some musckles into her. 17-18 oughta have some pretty significant musckles, at that.

Secondly, I believe the quote on mpg reduction through bumper removal was not intended to mean a gain through decrease of drag; rather of decrease in mass. Both bumpers and all four brackets certainly weigh well over 100 pounds, and even if it comes in at 120 pounds out of 2500, that is still almost five percent reduction in weight. 2-3 mpg is possibly an exaggeration... but I suppose it depends on how grandma-like you drive. I could certainly see somebody hypermiling a vehicle with similar weight and aerodynamic features and achieving a 3 mpg improvement below, say, 55mph through a 5-10 percent weight reduction.

Of course, saying you gained 3 mpg in your Z by dropping the bumpers is, realistically, almost ALWAYS going to be an exaggeration, but it was one of mass not drag.

At first I had these hideous units..

26122174451.jpg

After I took off my bumpers, I figured I would get a couple more MPG...

DSCN0544.jpg

And shaved the rear for superior airflow..

kelseyalexdatsun050.jpg

And wah-lah, 26 mpg @ 70mph in 6th gear.. along with that, it felt like I gained approx 300hp!!! ~WOW~ See, the guy must not be lying!

Edited by Slammed68
lol'ing.

My front and rear bumpers are gone too along with the spare tire and a gutted interior. I do have the msa type 2 bumper on the front but have no idea how much that thing weighs. Probably not much. I notice a power difference though between this Z and my completely stock '78 with full interior. I like the look better too.

downsize1.jpg

Compared to:

P1040788.jpg

My front and rear bumpers are gone too along with the spare tire and a gutted interior. I notice a power difference though between this Z and my completely stock '78 with full interior.

16x6.2 pounds per gallon = 99.2 pounds.

Your stocker with a full tank weighs the same as your "lightened" car on empty.

My car is a 1976. I modified mine by moving the mounts back (slotted the holes) and cutting out the inner structure on the bumper and rebuilding a recessed mount. Welded some new ends on and smoothed out any mounts/bolt holes. It's painted black in the last pic, I'll eventually get them powder coated. Here's what I ended up with....

rear_bumper_side_view.jpg

p_side_front_view.jpg

smoothed_rear_bumper.jpg

Z_front.jpg

thats a very clever idea. I've always wondered why people haven't done that more often.

In my opinion, a 240z front bumper and a shaved rear end with a spoiler looks very clean, if done right. my front end is so haggard right now, can't wait to get a front air dam and re-enforce it so it doesnt fold under the car on my airforce runs.

There are 3 bolts under the car and you don't need to remove the whole tank to do the job right, but you need to remove the 2 gas tank brackets to droop it just a little. Also yesterday I got pulled over by the cops and they didn't tell me anything about my shaved rear.

IMG_3209.jpg?t=1263114728

I didn't remove any fuel line because all those hoses are on the right side of the car, but I disconected the fuel gauge lines from the inside of the car (the ones connected to the fuel tank) because they're pretty short and then I just dropped the left side of the tank to remove the bolts and shock.

I didn't remove any fuel line because all those hoses are on the right side of the car, but I disconected the fuel gauge lines from the inside of the car (the ones connected to the fuel tank) because they're pretty short and then I just dropped the left side of the tank to remove the bolts and shock.

I will do that one later I guess. I took the driver side out today.

My car is a 1976. I modified mine by moving the mounts back (slotted the holes) and cutting out the inner structure on the bumper and rebuilding a recessed mount. Welded some new ends on and smoothed out any mounts/bolt holes. It's painted black in the last pic, I'll eventually get them powder coated. Here's what I ended up with....

rear_bumper_side_view.jpg

p_side_front_view.jpg

smoothed_rear_bumper.jpg

I really like the way this looks!! Too bad the bumpers are still such hefty brutes..

OFF TOPIC somewhat!

Sir, did you buy that car in Pendleton Oregon?!

if so, I ALMOST BOUGHT THAT CAR!!!

lucky you, i wish i had the cash at the time to get it!

Yup:mrgreen:

we almost didnt tho, and to be honest im glad he didnt sucker you.. he did us( in a way). he told us that every thing dorve and ran fine all electrical was fine, that it had gas, and that everything was fine.... with the exception that it was ugly... and he said to go ahead and make the drive (all the way from washington) so we did and we figured out that most of what he said was lies..... so we offered him less cash and got it to run long enought to get home. since he knew we had to drive a long distance he knew we wouldnt wanna come home empty handed... the sheister... but now that i got everything sorted out i might turn around and sell it....cheap i kinda got some bills, so if your interested let me know... maybe $900?

but yea that was the one in pendleton haha it had some of the ugliest exterior( worse than the picture you saw in craigslist lol) i have ever seen

Oh, i live in the city and it is pretty ugly lol

I'll actually ask my father (we share this user account) if he's interested, he was planing on getting a RHD 280ZX we located in PDX, but if its gone we might be interested, i want myself a Z aswell. all i have is a Daytona, rather have myself a Z