HybridZ

V6 pony car wars have begun

auxilary

I went out and test drove the new camaro. Decent auto transmission on the v6, the engine feels pretty good, and sounds pretty good too. The seat in the thing are AMAZING. Perfect for my fat, bad back american butt. I really liked it, except the interior pieces were... uninspiring, and the visibility is suboptimal... and the trunk is wierd, and wrong, and the steering wheel was dead, very little road feel. It would take time to feel comfortable pushing the car. but overall, i would possibly buy one. And i would love to shoe horn the v6 into my Z, and the seats! Even the cloth seats were awesome. The oil filter is easily accesible, like the benzes ive worked on, and it looked like it would fit very nicely in a zed.

I drove the challenger on the same day. With the Hemi and the 6 speed.. it was clunky, and all bark and no bite. They are running a fly by wire throttle... a remnant of mercedes technology. The difference is that mercedes got it right. The thing would not drop rpms between shifts, making it impossible to shift smoothly. the clutch was a mile long, and so spongy that children watch it on television after school. horrific. And i REALLY wanted to like it. REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to.

Thats my input on the Camaro and challenger, for the whole 15 minutes i spent with both cars.

Joe

I have always been partial to the GM 3.8 engine. I, for the life of me, couldn't figure out how GM could get that engine so right, yet Ford put such a literal slug of a 3.8 engine in the Mustang.

I would often say: "That Mustang would be a great little car if they would put GM's 3.8 Supercharged GEN3 engine in it!" It wasn't a Ford/Chevy Jibe---it's just that at the time the engine in the Mustang blew so badly it wasn't funny.

I mean, the 350Z had more power. Guys would say 'apples and oranges'---but it's a Mustang for gawd's sake! Just because you didn't want a V8 in there doesn't mean you don't care about performance!

My bud was upset he couldn't trade his Hemi Dodge Truck in for the Hemi Challenger during the recent gubbmint madness. The V6 Challenger apparently would have qualified, but he said 'why?'

That GM 3.8 would pull low 30's for mpg in the Bonneville SSE I had for a while. Amazing. Such a sweet engine. And if you kept out of the Supercharger you weren't paying the gas penalty (12mpg...) So versatile, too!

Ford should have bought those for their Mustang till they pulled their head out and started making decent power with their V6. What they had in the past was sickening.

Did I mention I hated prior Mustangs with V6's because they had a soggy mill with no power?

Guest Rolling Parts
Did I mention I hated prior Mustangs with V6's because they had a soggy mill with no power?

Don't laugh, but I once had a Mustang II Hatchback with the available Capri 2.8L V6 and the German 5 speed. It was actually quite a fun car an the Capri V6 on glass packs was silky smooth and sounded downright mean. It was the equal of the 77 280Z in every way except the rear suspension was a bit more bouncy. Mileage was also 29-30mpg on highway cruise.

As far as the new Camaro, I parked my red w/ white striped 240Z next to a shinny new Camaro at the gym yesterday. As I did a spinning class for an hour next to a window, I thought it was funny as heck that most people stopped and looked at my 240Z and NO ONE even gave the new Camaro so much as a glance!