HybridZ

That Z car death rattle....

PanzerAce

I was driving home from a buddies house down some back roads, everything's been good so far...glance down, and.....no oil pressure. Zip, zero, nada. As I'm hoping it's just a problem with the sensor/guage (since it was fine that morning), I hear that high pitched, rhythmic squeak that we all fear. Shut off the engine instantly, coasted to a clear part on the shoulder, and called AAA (11pm at ~35 ambient? thanks but no thanks).

Not going to have any idea what happened/what the damage is untill I start pulling it apart tomorrow, but hopefully it isn't too bad...:(

If it wasn't for the fact that money is tight, I would view this as a great time to start my M104 build/swap, but as it is...:(

It isn't looking like it's too serious. Pulled apart the oil system yesterday (even though I was still sick from the quick inspection/wait outside the night it broke), cleaned everything up, inspected the cams, etc. It doesn't look like there was any permanent damage.

That being said, I already know I'm going to be *very* paranoid about sounds I hear from under the hood, atleast for the next couple hundred miles.

Same thing happened to me with my l24. Driving down backroads in tracy to bring my dad a spare tire because he had a blowout. Out of no where i hear this ticking then the ticking turned into clacking look at my oil pressure guage. So im thinking well if its going to die then its going to die right. I pushed that l24 till it wouldn't take any more and put a rod out the block. 3 days later i bought a 280zx fairlady and put in the l28 and five speed. Been my daily ever since.

Before my Z stopped running I was on the interstate and I took a random glance at the oil pressure gauge and it read 0. There was no sounds coming from the engine bay and when I pulled off the side of the road I checked the oil and it was still full, I had it towed home anyways because I'm paranoid like that.

Before my Z stopped running I was on the interstate and I took a random glance at the oil pressure gauge and it read 0. There was no sounds coming from the engine bay and when I pulled off the side of the road I checked the oil and it was still full, I had it towed home anyways because I'm paranoid like that.

That's why I love the spray bars over the internally oiled cam. If I have a question as to if I have pressure or not: Unscrew the filler cap, shine a light in, and there's an oil stream *right* there if I do have pressure, and none if I don't.

Car: I probably wouldn't have cared *quite* as much if it was a stock L24, but this is a rebello built engine, *and* my only transportation untill I get the LD28(T) swap running.

Though I am going to start looking for a halfway decent running L24/26/28 to rebuild and then stick in storage in case the current engine ever bites it...