HybridZ

How do y'all polish your rims?

JKDGabe

For really corroded and oxidized wheels, I start with easy off oven cleaner and scrub them with a whitewall brush. This will remove almost anything except the aluminum.

Then I picked up an assortment of cotton buffing pads at an industrial tool supply company. They fit on a die grinder. Then use them with a metal buffing compound that can be found at most hardware stores.

It will take some time, but it will give give you nearly a mirror finish. Finish it off with a good mag polish and a coat off wax. ;)

Guest greimann

Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish is about the best you can get for polishing aluminum. I have tried many others, but nothing can beat Mother's (hey that rhymes. I'm a poet and am not aware of it).

For the satin look, I use Eagle One etching mag wheel cleaner. It is essentially phosphoric acid and leaves raw aluminum with a bright satin look. Look at the pictures on my web site for an example.

I recently polished the 15inch 'swastica' rims that I have on my daily driver 240Z. They were really 'crusty'. I started with a scotch pad and carb cleaner aerosol to get the muck off, then used a scotch pad and "blue Magic" metal polish (Pep Boys), using simple green inbetween those two steps.

Lots of elbow grease too, though. But the wheel glistened like brand new when done. Actually had a guy in a ZX at the 7-11 ask me where I sent them to get polished.

I have also found that a light spraying of non-stick cooking spray keeps the brake dust at bay, at least for a while.

Tim

Guest Frank280z

Clear coat can be removed with 3Ms scotchbrite pads/ cookie discs on an air grinder. Wet sand starting with 600 grit and working up to 2000 grit. Then you will need a brown roushe for heavy clean-up applied with a firm polishing wheel/cone. And then the white roushe is used for the luster you desire. Applies with a softer polishing wheel. Busch or Eagle makes a kit that msa sells. The wheels work good with the roushes I mentioned. And they can be purchased at Home Depot or Eastwood. Hope this helps.

I've seen oven cleaner do a number on aluminum parts...don't leave it on very long or you'll regret you used it.

When you're polishing away with Mother's or another aluminum polish (Simichrome is excellent) and that black aluminum oxide is building up to the point you think you won't ever get rid of it...use some flour while buffing and, like magic, it's gone! DAW

Guest Anonymous

I got one word for you, MOTHERS.I got a pair of centerlines at my local "ecology" for 22.00 each, and I spent about an hour per rim and now they look better than new. flamedevil.gif