HybridZ

Another Cylinder Head idea....What do you think?

S130Z

As most of us do as we lie in bed with the lady, we think about our cars. The other night I though of a neat idea involving a throttle-less intake system. As I pondered on how to do this, I realized the only other thing that limits air flow to the cylinder is....the intake valve.

I had seen a springless valvetrain setup that involved a sort of crankshaft style cam that inspired me. I began to think that if the intake valve was directly conected to another unit that could control how the valve opens, you could potentialy control the amount of air allowed to the cylinders.

So if anyone has any idea of a system that can controll the lift of a valve, I would love to hear it.

(BTW, this topic is just for conversational purposes only. I don't want to hear anything about it being too impractiacal or hard to make)

Already been done, and it is a very good idea:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/12/valeo_in_develo.html

You could have any cam profile at any rpm, so you could have an engine that idles smooth as silk at 200 rpm and pulls as long as the bottom end will hold together. When I first started reading about this they were working on diesels trying to gain mpg for semi trucks. I think BMW was trying to get it working on one of their V8 engines, haven't heard much lately about it.

Well you can't always be the first to think of something! I'm sure it takes quite a bit of mechanical/electrical hardware to get everything working they way it's intended.

That link was very helpfull. Magnetts are amzing peices of work! Well maybe someday it will be in production cars, but those dam oil companies kill all the good ideas!

Well you can't always be the first to think of something!

Haha I know how this Goes when I was around 8 years old or so I had the Idea to use Compressed Air to Power and engine even made a Diagram(very very rough diagram haha) And using the Brake rotors to create electricity to power a Air compressor, but as I got older I realized that France Already made the Air Compression motor and Regenerative braking had also been created.

Valve springless?

You mean like the old Desmodromic Valves of the early 1920's...

Really, there isn't anything all that much new for the ICE.

You mean like the Ducati Desmotronic valvetrain that has been winning WSB and MotoGP for years?

desmo.jpg

Or The Mercedes Straight 8 in the SLR way back in the day?

Or variable lift control in the BMW Valvetronic?

BMW_valvetronic.jpg