HybridZ

TT 409 Engine Build

Not boring at all! I liked the video. It was cool to see the engine on video outside of the car. Hanns, do you think you would gain any significant HP by fabricating manifolds that are like reverse style headers? I know you are NOT hurting for power and that this set up works extremely well, but I always ask myself that question. Thanks for sharing the video with us. Good stuff :D

Davy

Hanns, do you think you would gain any significant HP by fabricating manifolds that are like reverse style headers? Davy

Davy,

Some experts have told me that I'm giving up 100 HP by not having decent exhaust headers. They could be right but I like the square tubing for several reasons:

* Custom headers for the Z were quoted at $2600

* Square tubing at $20...and additional for welding

* Low profile tubing means everything fits in stock engine compartment

* Thick square tubing is quieter for "Sleeper" effect.

On my recently posted racing video, You can clearly hear my tires screeching upon transitioning out of the burnout but barely the engine. When I shift to 2nd you can also hear the tires chirp part way down the track.

Thanks for the interest.

Hanns

So the exhaust that you see in the video, the short pipes dumping off the turbo's. Is that all you are running for exhaust?

No, there is a full exhaust with mufflers dumping by the rear end. The exhaust sound is more noticeable at idle then when there is backpressure under boost. That's why spectators in the stands tell me they can hardly hear the engine as the Z accelerates down the track.

Looks like it runs pretty well too. Do you have any of the 150mph passes on video?

The link in my signature shows video of my latest runs. The mph of my second run is 146.99. I have said I run close to 150 but have not actually posted any 150 mph times. I'm not sure that I want to since NHRA then requires my Z to have a parachute mounted. My goal will be to decrease my Elapsed Time without actually exceeding 150.

I'm surprised how well my Z actually handles at that high speed with only an airdam for high speed modification. But then I'm only going in a straight line.

The link in my signature shows video of my latest runs. The mph of my second run is 146.99. I have said I run close to 150 but have not actually posted any 150 mph times. I'm not sure that I want to since NHRA then requires my Z to have a parachute mounted. My goal will be to decrease my Elapsed Time without actually exceeding 150.

I'm surprised how well my Z actually handles at that high speed with only an airdam for high speed modification. But then I'm only going in a straight line.

HAHA I guess I should have clicked on that link or scrolled a little further into your videos. That thing is moving out pretty good. Yeah once you get to those predetermined barriers it just becomes more of a pain to go faster but hey safety first. I understand you wanting to keep it looking like a sleeper too.

Hey it may just be in a straight line but thats still moving out. Congrats!

Ok I'm biting on this one lol...

How much tire are you running?

What if any rear suspension mods are you running?

That was just a great video hahaha. The anouncer was like "this should be a great match up" I even chuckled a little before you ran him thinking that's probably a stock GTR lol.

Oh and what kind of 60' times are you getting? (<--- I'm guessing thats where your going to pick up some ET)

Ok I'm biting on this one lol...

How much tire are you running?

What if any rear suspension mods are you running?

Oh and what kind of 60' times are you getting? (<--- I'm guessing thats where your going to pick up some ET)

9" Ford rear, 4-link with coilovers, 325/50/15 Mickey Thompson Radials on 12" wide Weld wheels.

Yes, your analysis is correct about the 60' times. My best ever 60' was a 1.33 (only happened once when my torque converter broke and allowed 5500 rpm launch). Normally it's 1.45's. Currently it's 1.60 until I can lean out the carb at launch.

That's a lot of bite for little to no bark. I like it. I also chuckled a bit when I say the GTR in the opposing lane. As soon as the camera shows just the wing and roofline..i knew what it was. heh

Did you end up fabbing some sort of Y-pipe to the turbo inlets for a filter or are you simply running screens?

the GTR in the opposing lane

Did you end up fabbing some sort of Y-pipe to the turbo inlets for a filter or are you simply running screens?

Just fine mesh screens for the turbos.

I couldn't have been happier when I got to run the GTR because it was sheer coincidence. The GTR was allowed run after run while we, bracket peons, had to endlessly wait in the staging lanes. I was up next in my lane when the GTR pulled, once more, into its empty staging lane. The staff lined him up and then motioned me in next to him. Spectators later told me that they were sure the GTR would put me away because my Z was so quiet doing the burnout. During his previous runs the announcer also spent some time talking about the GTR's famous Import Drag Racer, Ed Bergenholtz.

Priceless!!!

Hanns, you dog, you! Never a dull moment with you around, Sir...:o) This is superb stuff! Super clean and runs like crazy...they say the same thing about mine....too quiet...never can tell how fast it ends up going....I sure like the way you put that together as a system.

Now you got me started...I have to figure out how to post a video as well...:o)

Congratulations!! Well done.

Wayne