HybridZ

Bleeding the cooling system is a pain on an RB, a suggestion to help.

Evan Purple240zt

RB's (at least in S-chassis swaps) are very difficult to burp sometimes due to the pocket of air that gets hung up by the thermostat.

I was doing some reading, and looking at the thermostat that fits my WRX and realized that they all include a tickler deal of sorts to ease air bleeding. Why don't the RB thermostats have this?

Next time I do a thermostat installation, I am going to drill a small hole 1/8 or less to help get the air out of the system. Ill bet that helps quite a bit. I have read about folks doing this on the ford forums when I searched, but anyone tried it on an RB?

Evan

It's funny the other day I was thinking how easy these motor bleed when installed in a Z. the radiator is so much higher than the motor, practically bleeds with the motor off lol.

On a side note I recall my replacement t-stat for the RB did have that little brass valve and so did my 22re t-stat

A small hole can be drilled and NPT tapped (or an existing hole used) in the thermostat housing. A small brass hose fitting can be added and that line run over to the high side of radiator on the PS. Here you have a small hose nipple brazed or soldered into the tank. The engine will self bleed with ease doing this. This is common on many FI engines to promote heating the intake or MAF. LS1 have this setup which also prevents air pockets in the cylinder heads (for which they are notorious) as well as heating the MAF. I do it with any Land Rover V8's running Edelbrock intakes and 4bbls although the nipple already exist on the LR radiator. Anything from 1/8" to 3/8" will work. No, it won't have a detrimental affect on cooling the engine.

There is also a tool that you can buy from Matco that draws a vaccum on the engine. You can check for leaks and then suck coolant into the engine, completely fills the engine on the first try with no air pockets.

They are a little pricey at around 300 bucks but they work awesome. I had to use one with my VQ.

since I put my Aluminum rad in my Z, my t-stat was higher then the Rad opening. I took a funnel and plug, I drilled a hole in the rubber plug and epoxy the Funnel in it. I stuck the funnel in the Rad opening and just made sure the water level in the funnel was higher then the T-stat. Worked like a charm bleeding the system of all air. Make sure you turn your heater on so you fill your heater core.

since I put my Aluminum rad in my Z, my t-stat was higher then the Rad opening. I took a funnel and plug, I drilled a hole in the rubber plug and epoxy the Funnel in it. I stuck the funnel in the Rad opening and just made sure the water level in the funnel was higher then the T-stat. Worked like a charm bleeding the system of all air. Make sure you turn your heater on so you fill your heater core.

I use a spill free funnel: 410gKy372TL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Same idea, easy to use, works great.

there is a small 10mm bolt on teh balance tube you can use to do this. it should have a little sticker next to it. its a couple inches behind the thermostate onteh top of teh motor right next to the valve cover. it is where most people tap into for a one of those over flow cans.

in this pic it is just forward of the front fuel rail mount directly below the watermark S in secret.

rb26complete.jpg

just jack that side of the car up a bit, remove the bolt and fill with the car running till it starts spitting water. you will have to do several times till you get a steady flow.