HybridZ

Top End Performance Turbo Engine Rebuild Kit?

nash542001

Do yourself a favor and do a extensive search on Top End Performance so that you can make up your on mind about giving them any of your money.

They have some good, and alot of bad, and most of it has to do with how your treated from them after they get your money.

Search their name here, zcar.com and Google. That should give you something to make your choice off of.

I did search their name and found mostly bad, but I was wondering about receiving off the self stuff from them and not getting work done by them.

I don't like the fact that the cams are regrounds and wouldn't get one, but as for the rest of the kit I have done some pricing else where and their kit is lower even with the higher priced JE pistons.

Anyone else have experience with them on parts odered?

The reason why am asking is I want to build a 260z capable of beating or at least giving a run for the money against my cousin’s 1997 SS camaro. He has put 10K in the engine and plans on running 11s in the quarter on engine and 9s on NOS. Those may be a litter optimistic, but I would be happy with somewhere in the 11s with just a turbo.

I already have a L28ET engine and know my way around setting up FMS with megasquirt. I plan on having a budget of $7000 for engine build and was wondering if it was possible.

Anyone who has some good setups like possible bore, compression, stroke, pistons, boost level and cams would be greatly appreciated. Also where to find some good deals on such things.

$7,000 L28eT build?

or lordy.. for that amount of money.. swap in a RB or a V8.. seriously. Its pointless to modify and tune a 40 year old engine.. the advances in a newer engine and reliability will surpass a L28 any day

Running 11's on a L28 with a good driver is possible on a moderate build.. which you can do for well under $7,000. But 9's?! thats a whole new story

The $7000 was max budget and I would not want to come close to that. I have $3,400 for sure and would have to save to up with the rest which would mean more waiting.

I thought about an RB, but the parts start to get outrageous for that and not sure on the FMS for an RB.

The reason for this build is to beat or beatup on a V8 not become one.

Besides I already have L28ET and just to get RB would start out at least $2000 and then parts extra.

How much did you give for your Ross pistons and where if you mind me asking?

Maybe you want to re-ask your question as "Given I have the following L28 turbo setup, what's the best way to beat my friend's Camaro?"

Tell us more about both cars and I think you'll get some good feedback.

To your original question, I had considered buying a strut brace from them, but after reading about too many issues with their service decided not to.

Yes I guess I should of asked the question that way, but I was wondering about Race tep's build package.

As for my car it is 1974 260z which I plan on restoring and dropping the massive bumpers for a 240z style look. The motor is a L28ET junkyard motor in need of a rebuild and I want to build it right from the start to hold maybe 17psi with no problem and kick some butt.

With a rebuilt L28et and 17psi from an upgraded turbo, cam and decent intercooler you should be able to get more than 350 rwhp and into the 11's. You didn't say anything about upgrading your driveline, but that needs to be part of your plan as well. I don't think the stock diff, half-shafts and stub axles are going to last very long doing 11's.

Getting into the 9's with an L6 as Prox said is a whole 'nuther story.

I ordered from them on two seperate occasions. First order for ARP headstuds for my l28et which I received in a very reasonable amount of time, and lastly a set of ARP rod bolts which also came very quickly as they should have given our close geographical locations. They were both priced rather low from what I could find at the time. I also read horror stories dealing with them and feel I must have been lucky and will quit ordering from them while I'm ahead. These were the only two items I needed, and felt as if they couldn't screw those orders up, thats just my two cents worth....

Thanks for the info on Race tep, I will just order my parts from different suppliers.

Going stock with upgraded turbo, FMS, injectors and FMIC, would be great but the engine I have needs rebuilt anyways so why not upgrade too. I think I will get some forged pistons from Ross on Summits site and race prep my rods.

At least I know I can get into the 11s with the stock internals, thanks.

With regard to your question about cams, there seems to be 4 lines of thought:

1) Use the stock turbo cam and turn up the boost

2) Use one of the early NA cams (search for more details)

3) Use an aftermarket such as Schneider (also sold by MSA)

4) Regrind - Delta Cams is good, but I wasn't impressed with the profiles they had for a turbo. Some have used Isky to regrind and had excellent results - again, search for more details.

The reason why am asking is I want to build a 260z capable of beating or at least giving a run for the money against my cousin’s 1997 SS camaro. He has put 10K in the engine and plans on running 11s in the quarter on engine and 9s on NOS. Those may be a litter optimistic, but I would be happy with somewhere in the 11s with just a turbo.

/

You can run low 11's with ancient turbo technology (h-trim) in a full bodied 280zxt 2+2 with a stock bottom end. You will nearly be in the 11's with the stock setup (look up user name Jersey).

If you're going to set the car up for drag racing then you'll want an auto with a bit of a stall and a turbo that can push 500 or so hp. A 7 blade hx35 will do that and a rebuilt jatco with a shiftkit or manual vb will hold the power. Talk to elgin cams for a custom setup, get the head work done and get a methanol kit or run racegas/e85. You'll want to lighten the car as much as possible. A setup like that will get you deep into the 10's.

Edited by Bernardd