HybridZ

"Systems"

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

Has anyone put a "system" into their Z/ZX?? I'm looking to hopefully build some custom boxes and put a nice little setup in my ZX, but I would love to see pictures if any of you have done this

I'm thinking about doing 4 12's couple of 6x9s in the front, some tweeters.. not really sure about all of it yet.. Just trying to get ideas about whats been done.

Billy

I think 4 12s would be too much. I don't think you could get it to fit because of the cubic inches required for each speaker. A friend of mine put 2 12s in his ZX and it took up the whole trunk. 3 10s would be pretty loud just make sure you get the right impedence. Personally, I wouldn't put anything more than 1 10 in a bandpass box. I wouldn't want an extra 100lbs in the back of my car.

Guest polarity

By time I'm done, I'm hoping to show this car.. and unfortunaltly a nice stereo is one of the things they look at these days.. the boxes will be built into the rear of the trunk (against the back wall) for 2 12s and then against the side walls (and around the strut towers) for the others..

I personally wouldnt do much more than 2 10's in the back of a Z. I dont think on the show circut you have to have a zillion speakers that fill up the whole entire car. I assume judges are looking for originallity and also neat-ness. IE how your wires are run, placement of amps, speakers and neon (a must now a day puke.gif ) Also if you are goin for some sort of sound qualitly other than rap/bass style music you will want to stay as far away from bandpass boxes as possible. They are "boomy" and only play well in a small band. There is a ZX on this site somewhere that has 4 15" woofers built into a wall behind the drivers/passenger seat with all the amps and shiz mounted in the back. Pretty nuts!

For me, I am goin to run 1 10" behind a strut pointing twards the back, two 5 1/4 3ways in the back, two 5 1/4 component sets in the front kick panels or doors (not sure yet) with a 5 channel amp (50x4 and 200x1) I think this will be plenty of a system to deal with my musical tastes. I guess I am goin to stop rambling now twak.gif Good Luck with you system! cheers.gif

~Kenny

Guest JAMIE T

Do a wall with 6 15's!!! Just kidding. Do 4 Kicker 10's L7's square solobarics. use a huge amp or two just for the subs. maybe a Orion HCCA2100 bridged mono in a 1 ohm load. Skip the 6x9's. Do some 8's in the kick panels for midbass. Use Image Dynamics compression horns under the dash. Run the midbass and horns off one amp, maybe a 500 watt one. Be sure to use the same brand amps for all of them. It makes the install look SOOOO much better.

I personally like quality sounds. I'm about to get a couple of McIntosh amps from a freind. There rated at 150(75x2) watts and 100(50x2) watts. I am going to use an effeciant 12" sub(only one, or 2). 8" midbass in he kick panels and my own comprssion horns. I used to install systems like this in competition vehicles. Awesome sound prfect clarity. One guy that used to post on here has a competition system in his zcar. I haven't seen a post by him in awhile though

Guest 280Tom'z

i really dont see why 2 12s is too much for everyone i had a 3way box w/ 2 MTX termanators(older models) and i had plenty of room and thats what i plan to put back in the new one

Guest polarity

Well I've actually come up with more ideas on some boxes.. I hope to have something sketched out here soon..

I dont guess anyone has the link to the Zcar with the system in it?

there's not really a whole lot of air space to start with in a z and i like having some

access to what's there... you'll have to make some serious build-outs in your kick panels to get 8's to fit, too.

i used two sheets of 3/4" mdf to mount 2 10's in my spare tire well. i could have done it with one sheet, but i wanted to countersink the speakers and lay the carpet over it so no one could see what's underneath. it's actually bolted to the spare tire well underneath with some small 90 degree metal brackets and i used silicone to seal it. you could do the same to mount a single 12.

fddbae46.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

Nullbound, I like the way you installed those subs. I make all new kick panels when I do installs like this(8" in the kicks). I use small enclosure speakers. Most of the high end 8"s only need .33 cubic feet. Thats very little more than just the basket. In show/competition installs, some compromise must be made. The compression horns I spoke of also take away room, they basically hang under the dash(though, they are covered and look like they should be there), so they do take away some room too. 5 speakers is enough in a Z. 2 tweeters, 2 midbass, and 1 sub. A single four channel amp with the rear channel bridged mono to the sub, and the front stereo channels go to the respective tweeter/midbass components. THAT is plenty. I have set-up just like that in my Z28. 1 Boston Acoustics PRO 12, a set of Boston PRO 6.5 seperates(mounted together). And a Rockford Fosgate POWER 800a4. Rated at 200x4, but actaully it's more like 960 total watts. The rear channels are bridged mono to the sub for about 400+ watts to it, and the mids/highs actaully get about 200+ per side. It sounds great, even with my bargain Alpine deck(floor model indash CD player with remote, $250 three years ago). The 240Z will get a smilar set-up, except with horns and big midbass speakers. The amps I listed above don't even come close to the power the Rockford makes, but will have enormous sound quality benefits over it. The deck will be nice too, maybe a Mcintosh or high end Alpine. Evanpurple was the guys forum name, maybe evanpurple240zt.

i understand the reason for wanting the compression drivers and 8's in the kick panels. i fully understand the benefits for both imaging and staging, as well as air space requirements. i've been doing systems for a while myself and have been a longtime fan of alpine and a/d/s products. i've been following car audio for sometime and have even listened to both richard clark's buick grand national and harry kimura's acura legend from speakerworks fame with the early wave guides at an IASCA event in the early 90's.

the kickpanel area itself in a 240 is basically a flat metal surface with very small cutouts to access the bolts holding the hinges for the doors. to put an 8" speaker in that area, you'll probably end up building the enclosure in the back corner of the kickpanel/firewall. i'm not saying it can't be done, but you will be sacrificing some leg room. and with the compression drivers mounted to the bottom of your dash.... i hope the magnets on the compression drivers and the midbasses you want to use are really really small. i have q-logic panels mounted to my kickpanels holding 5.25" midranges and i couldnt imagine having much more down there.

fddbae60.jpg

I'm in the middle of the same project. I've got 5 1/4 components for the front, 6x9's in the rear and a sub in the spare tire well.

Nullbound, how did you make your sub box. Is it a full box or is it just the top piece where the subs srew on to? Also are those two 10 in. or 12 in subwoofers?

I plan on making a "false floor" on the rear deck to allow plenty of mounting surface for amplifiers. Then I'm going to re-carpet the entire deck to cover the amps/subs for regular driving.

The kick panels are going to be a challenge. I would love to see someone fit an 8 in speaker down there. I wish more manufacterers made more parts for our Z cars.

I'm in the middle of installing a Viper alarm system too. I bought it on ebay for cheap and I was planning on paying someone to install it but everyone told me they will only install what they sell. So now I'm stuck with a whole lot if installing to do as well. Not to mention the cd receiver and 12 disc changer I installed last weekend......And all of it was bought on ebay at prices to good to pass up.

:D

I have an '83 ZXT with a decent system in it.

Hafler Amp driving ADS speakers up front in custom enclosures in the doors.

Simple Pioneer Coax's in the stock rear locations powered by a R/F Punch 45. These are only used for "fill" and are not played loud.

Competition 12" Sub in 1.75 Cu. Ft. Box powered by bridged R/F Punch 100.

Audio Control Equalizer/crossover working off the front channels.

No, I don't go booming down the street, but it plays plenty loud and sweet in the car.

Had top of the line Sony stuff - head unit and cd which both crapped out after 7 years and ~30K.

Pioneer, here I come.

Hey Brad, I noticed you put Pioneer here I come. I must say, I am in the middle of installing all Pioneer gear in my Z. I have the deck (p-93300) and 12 disc changer and 3-way 6x9 speakers in so far and I coulnd't be happier. The deck and changer NEVER skip and my ride is pretty rough. The 6x9s sound good running off the deck for now and I have a pair of 5.25 components that I need to some how mount in the front kick panels.

I also have an amp on the way and I plan on using a Pioneer 12 in. sub in the near future. The Pioneer stuff sounds and looks sweet. I highly recommend it!!! 2thumbs.gif

My car has a Blaupunkt radio/CD player that runs through a Coustic crossover, 2 250 watt Rockford amps driving 4 15" woofers, 1 200 watt Rockford amp driving the tweeters and mid-range speakers. It has 1 150 watt Rockford amp driving two shakers bolted to the bottom of the custom Recaro seats.

I am 63 and do go "BOOMING" down the street.

http://www.waskomtexas.com/zcar