HybridZ

car won't start & backfires

This is for a 74 260. I have put in the AZC intake and 6-into-2 headers with the twice pipes exaust from MSA. After getting these parts installed I can't get the car to stay running. At first it would start and I could keep it running by messing with the throttle but it would take more & more throttle to keep it @ the same rpm. Now it comes close to starting but won't and backfires out of the exaust then blows gas out of the carb. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it? Any help is more then appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

gb20

My dad & I were just out there playing with the timing and checking the float levels. Also made sure we are getting spark to all the plugs. How would I go about checking for a vacuum leak? Thanks for the help & ideas guys.

Most people use starting fluid...but that only really works when you have it running. I am betting you have a vac leak based on the throttle symptoms you were describing. You didn't use any sealer on the gasket did you?? And you did use new gaskets, right?

Edited by Phlebmaster

I used silicone gasket maker for it. Let it set up for 2 days before I tried it. It ran but it wasnt right. Then after a few days of starting it just stopped.

Ok...try picking up a new intake/exhaust manifold gasket at your local parts store. They are pretty cheap. :)

Get the gasket maker off, I made that mistake once and had the same issues, that is why I asked. Make sure your carb gaskets are new as well.