HybridZ

Cleaning Webers

WEBEZEEed

Santa delivered to me a set of triple 40's. I am having one heck of a time unsticking the start barrelsjets on the back. I have removed the choke plate with the actuating arms along with all other brass tubes and jets and whatever. I'v soaked them in PB blaster (3 days) W D 40. C.L.R. ,kerosene, seafoam , enamel reducer and have even fired up the propane torche to heat them up . No Dice, they will not budge. Who knowes the secret of unsticking these guys? Thanks in advance!!

Have you tried an impact screwdriver? It's one of the coolest tools in my toolbox. Go somewhat easy with it on the Webers though. Cast aluminum is fairly brittle.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=opera&rls=en&q=impact+screwdriver&sourceid=opera&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5026412491722993419&ei=rupES-W8DNXAlAfllLGUBw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBkQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

00915232000_20090806120027736?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

I have an impact, thats what was used for most of the brass pieces. The parts I'm having trouble with I don't believe thread in, they are moved vertically by the choke mechanism. They are under a spring a very short sleeve looking thing and a slotted flat brass keeper. They have a slight groove in the middle where the brass arm engages it so when the choke is applied they raise up, and of course return when the choke is released. These carbs must have been sitting for a VERY long time. There is a lot of growthcorrosion oxidation and white coating inside on every part even the brass floats are white. Does anyone know if vinegar can be used? I've heard it mentioned.

Oh, the choke pistons/plungers are stuck. Sorry, misunderstood. You can try some vinegar or maybe some CLR. Both are acidic and might dissolve some of the crud. I would plan on getting new plungers anyhow, if they are corroded that badly.

Carburetor Shop in Ontario California once told me to try Vanish Toilet Bowl Cleaner. It's caustic and won't eat the Mazak or other metals but if you leave it in there too long it WILL turn it jet black.

I would make up a pot (stainless steel food service trays I had laying around) and it seemed pretty good with some goggles, tooth brushes, and latex gloves at getting most of the stuff knocked out to where things like frozen throttle plates and shafts would free up.

I limited my soaking/working time in the relatively strong solution to around 10 minutes, then completely flushed them with water.

Then back to PB Blaster, heat, etc.... If no luck, back in for another 10 minutes of work and then reflush with water and try the oils again.

Heating the stuff to around 140 F seemed to make the action much more agressive.

I wouldn't use acid as it WILL deteriorate the metal. Likely all you have is corrosion or debris sticking them---and chokes can be oil fouled, meaning an alkaline solution will remove the oils leaving only dirt remaining...and the brushes will get that!

Good Luck.

Thanks Tony, I'll keep at it and try to employ your suggestions. It may be a few days till I get back out to the garage,it's only 10 degrees out right now.

Do this where it's warm, it increases effectiveness of the solution. Though likely it wouldn't freeze at that temperature, merely turn to slush (unless it's C, in which case get out there and work!)

lacquer thinner is amazing at cleaning carbs. Its oldschool stuff, I wouldn't use it without a proper mask, goggles and gloves. Which are good to have around anyway.

When I rebuilt mine, there was no way I was getting the accelerator jets out. Like you, tried everything. One of the guys at the track suggested soaking the carbs overnight in lacquer thinner. So I did. Presto, the hard to clean gunk brushed right off and the jets popped out like butter.

It may be hard to find, it is nasty stuff. Around here, most hardware stores still carry it, but you have to ask for it. They can't have it on the shelves.