HybridZ

Long Shot: Anyone Making/Selling New 240Z Dashes?

Guest TBroZ

I think there's a slim chance, but I thought I'd ask anyway. The classic has the classic cracks on the dash. I'm not interested in the dash cap...want the original dash...they're so nice. Boy do I miss my '71 240Z with 36K original miles (owned a few years back)...everything was pristine. BTW, does anyone know who did those total 240Z restorations for Nissan a few years ago (~1995)? They OEM restored and sold...25 or so 240's and sold them at the dealers. It was headed by some guy...I want to say Tony something or other. If anybody remembers who, I might try to get a hold of him...may he knows of someone making or restoring dashes.

Terry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about the 70'-71' dash but Motorsports Auto ("MSA"/ www.zcarparts.com You can order a catalog on their site) has a 72' listed for $705.89. Not sure if they are interchangeable though. I have a ZX so I don't know much about the 240Z,260Z, or 280Z other than the fact that I really want a 240 or 260 in the near future!

Guy

LOL ok then, spend to your hearts content. Again it will fool most people if done properly. I know because I have seen people not know the difference. But hey that's why we live in America you have the freedom of choice and if ya got the cash I say go for it. Me on the other hand will use that cash for something else a little more important.

Besides the wife's birthday is in a couple of days and the anniversary is next month eek2.gif lol

Trust me, I'm not happy about spending $700 on it...at all! But...it's all just whatever we value personally...those things we justify spending our money on. If the cap fools you, i.e. makes you happy, then you'd be foolish to spend your money on a real one. I however, could never consider a cap...cheezy. But most importantly to me, the cap rounds out and the killer contours of the dash.

I don't mean this to be a debate, we don't need to defend ourselves...it's all personal preference. Hey my girl friend silently thinks I'm an idiot for buy the 327Z beast period.

Didn't say the cap fooled me now did I :D

by the way my wife loves the Z even though it doesn't even run. Anyway.

You are right though, this shouldn't be a debate. Just do what you feel is right for you and your particular situation.

I was only trying to help a brother out because once upon a time I too considered buying the new dash. Only to reconsider after seeing the cap at a GA Z Club show.

Bottem line is this, you are the one that has to be happy here on this decision not me so I would check with MSA or even your local Nissan dealership for a new dash.

Try Courtesy Nissan in Texas they always seem to have a lot of Z stuff.

I agree with you that the 240 dash is great, but I have the dash cap on my car, and in no way does it change the appearance of the dash. Well, except to get rid of the unsightly cracks! Well worth $50 that it costs. Just don't force it on and smash the ammeter needle with the gauge face like the previous owner did in my car. twak.gif

I second Mike's opinion. I had a full dash cap (it covers the WHOLE dash front and top) on my 260Z and it looked absolutely awesome; it was impossible to tell there was a 'cap' on there, period. The only issue was that the light dimming switch was a bit tight in turning it, but that was all. I would do a full cap again, but the 240Z already has a 1/2 cap that looks 'ok' but not as decent as a full job. My $.02.

Davy

TBroZ

When were you looking to replace the dash. I have a one out of a 70 240z that is not cracked, at least it wasn't 5 years ago when I took it out and put it into storage. I haven't decided whether or not to use that dash, build a new one, or use another that I have that is cracked and put a dash cap on it.

From memory the only thing that was wrong with the one I had was that the glove box door had a hole cut in it for some reasons. A glove box door would be easy to replace.

Also, don't know what shipping would be to you from Seattle for such a bulky item. I had an engine shipped from Tucson for 224.00, but they charged a minimum of 500 lbs.

If you are interested you may force me to make up my mind one way or another.

Scott

PDK Fabrications is working on a fiber glass and carbon fiber replica of the dashes. The orginal look without the weight penalty 2thumbs.gif I don't know how they are coming along with it, but they had a fiber glass one at the Z show at Ohlone college (I apologize for forgetting the name of the show).