HybridZ

1971 240Z Turbo Tom build

Ok, a little background info on me and my ride...

I bought my lil 240Z many moons ago, about 10 years ago or so. It came with a couple of truck loads of parts as well. I jumped in and started to tear everything apart. It was all stock and I was going to restore it. Well, after I managed to get down to the bare shell I found HybridZ...damn you, haha. Hmmm...maybe stock won't cut it? So, I started thinking V8s, turbos, and bears oh my!...well, maybe not so much the bears, haha.

I started buying this and that and my garage over flowithed. Or rather my parents to be precise. Then school, work, and what not took over and it sat. Over the last few years I would find a deal on parts, parts of cars, or whole part cars...and the pile grew. Though now it resides in my shop. But the Z still sat barely touched. Sad in deed.

Fast forward to now, I am armed with renewed love/hate/need to get this thing prowling the streets again. I have a large shop that I am mostly moved into, a lil money, and a loving and somewhat understanding wife. She went with me on a 1500 mile around trip to get a few Z parts...God bless her.

Current plans now call for the installation of a Turbo Tom onto a 280ZXT engine, with a 5 speed tranny and a R200 diff.

I will try and include pics of regular updates and document the install of this rare piece of ol'school tech.

Few more pics...

Turbo Tom exhaust hit this piece...

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/jwink25/Z%20car%20parts/Turbotom001.jpg

Cut it...

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/jwink25/Z%20car%20parts/Turbotom002.jpg

Still hit, so I hit it, haha...it's gone now.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/jwink25/Z%20car%20parts/Turbotom016-Copy.jpg

Another member said they used a PVC valve stuck into the block.

Tom's exhaust manifold pics...

Turbotom003.jpg

Turbotom004.jpg

Turbotom005.jpg

Money shots...this is with most of the parts loosely bolted up to the engine I'll be using. Note, the head pictured on the block will be replaced with the other head from above.

Turbotom023.jpg

Turbotom017-Copy.jpg

Turbotom024.jpg

Turbotom025.jpg

Tail WG

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/jwink25/Z%20car%20parts/Turbotom020-Copy.jpg

Note the smaller pipe is the WG pipe...1.75 inches

The Exhaust pipe is like 3.5 wide...dang!

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/jwink25/Z%20car%20parts/Turbotom025.jpg

Oil lines to cooler...

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/jwink25/Z%20car%20parts/Turbotom021.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am about to tear into my car in the coming weeks. ( I close on my new place in May and will finish the garage before I move in)I Like GeeZ( I have a place in Spring. Close to you now) have a TT car here in Houston. My manifold is diferent than yours. Both my exhaust and intake are a little different. I am considering having my exhaust remade. Mine has a crack in it. I currently have not ran across anyone that has any skills to weld Cast and make it good..... A lot of people say that they can try. I have also noticed that your turbo is different than mine. I have a RayJay unit but it sat for 14 years. It spins good but I want to get it serviced before I push it. Can you give up some specs on your turbo. Have you thought about updating the ignition system? I have been looking passively at the Electromotive XDi stuff.....

Keep us updated I am very interested. I have some TT literature and handouts that I can send you once I get moved into my new place, if you would like them for your records.

Sean, aren't you glad you didn't sell the car. Tom was continuously improving his kit. My kit was done in 1995 and looks like jwink25's. Give a PM and I'll check with our fabricator about welding cast.

Wow - I don't feel so bad about letting my project sit! If you have questions - I think I still have pictures of when it was installed in my Datsun before I sold it to you. For example, the crankcase vent - it was cut down and turned forward if I remember. I'll have to fish around for pics.....let me see what I can find.

-Bob

Bob do you have any info on the TT that you had? Cam? Motor work? Any video? How was your throttle response? I am trying to figure where I would be as far as HP on my set-up. I will be in CC for the beach to bay race in May. I go every year.

Any info on the Turbo tom setup I had? - You have it now! :) The cam was a mild turbo cam, didn't have the exact specs, but it was very mild, but more than stock. Motor was always bone stock turbo short block. He had been building up a very stout 3.0 block but sold the car to me before he installed it. When I pulled everything out, it was a junkyard turbo short block. No videos, but someone put a video up a long time ago of him running it in the 1/4 mi at the Z event in Atlanta,(the yearly 1/4 mi thing, was the first or second event). I can't find it anymore. It ran 11.1 or so at 130+ mph. He still had it setup for road racing and ran a 2.4+ second 60 foot time. On motor alone, I believe he said it was high 300's, like 390. You must install the water injection if you are going to not run N2O and you plan on high boost - i.e. 20+ psi.

Throttle response, because on boost was so dramatic,(i.e. 400+ hp), you could tell when you weren't in boost, but look at the old dyno plot on my website - flat hp from 4000 rpm on - once your in boost, shifting doesn't make much difference. It goes! Now, that dyno plot with 520 rwhp was with a 100 shot of N2O. He was going through transmissions - so keep that in mind. He ran the T5's until they broke - always replaced them with a junkyard unit until he finally put the G-force G5R transmission in the car, which was capable of 1300+ hp. I now have that behind my RB26 in that car.

I'd guess that when you first get it running, it will be very rich for low boost operation since he tuned it for the 25-29 psi. I know that with the plugs it had were a very cold range and ran like dog crap till warmed up. The good thing about running that carb is anyone who knows how to tune V8's with those can tune your car. If you get a crazy bug up your shorts, you can switch to the Fuel injection throttle bodies - which gives you a lot more control over whats going on into the turbo.

If your down here for Beach-bay in May, drop me a line - # is 361-244-4419. I'm moving up to Fort Smith, AR, but don't leave until mid June. You can swing by and see the Super Datsun in its current state - still not finished, but making progress. I'm mainly working on my 94 RX-7 with an LS2/3,(ls2 block, ls3 heads).

I don't remember everything, but will help you out how I can.

-Bob