HybridZ

opinions on Audi A-8

madkaw

Looking for a used car and have noticed some decent pricing on late 90's Audi's. Looking at a 98 Quattro A-8, but don't know much about them except for the fact they have really depreciated from original sticker-ouch! Going to look at one with 125k miles for 4000$. Looks really nice and is loaded. Are these garage queens or do they make a decent DD.

Looking for a used car and have noticed some decent pricing on late 90's Audi's. Looking at a 98 Quattro A-8, but don't know much about them except for the fact they have really depreciated from original sticker-ouch! Going to look at one with 125k miles for 4000$. Looks really nice and is loaded. Are these garage queens or do they make a decent DD.

Work on an Audi... Just try one, especially a V6/V8 model. I dare you.

I'm about 99% sure that Audi starts with about 5 feet of crap sticking out of the top of the hood and they just have a big press ram it all under there while they Slam the hood before anything can pop back out at them.

They're good cars, Audi's, they're also a PITA to work on.

Work on an Audi... Just try one, especially a V6/V8 model. I dare you.

I'm about 99% sure that Audi starts with about 5 feet of crap sticking out of the top of the hood and they just have a big press ram it all under there while they Slam the hood before anything can pop back out at them.

They're good cars, Audi's, they're also a PITA to work on.

My family owns a 97 Audi Quattro Wagon, and I hate it the seats are falling apart the rear struts for the Hatch don't work anymore. as he said they are a PITA to work on plus the auto transmission on ours is starting to fail and we had to take it to the dealer to have the fluid replaced because its impossible to do yourself. But if you have the money to take it to the dealer or such and it is in good condition they can be nice ours is a A6 I believe and it has around 153,xxx miles on it gets around 20 miles a gallon and recently my dad had to replace the thermostat because it became stuck and caused pressure which made all the coolant "explode" out of the overflow container. Oh and you have to buy antifreeze at audi. But like I said its your choice and ours could just be a lemon and has a lot of miles but this is our experience and it is fun to drive and pretty reliable it just is hard to work on yourself anyways good luck.

Okay, so maybe the 93 190e I have been looking at might be looking a little better here. It has a few more miles, but it's also cheaper. Plus I have heard good things from you guys about these cars. Anything I should look for on the 190e? I think the owner said it had 175k miles.

My former boss at the last job I was at had an A8, Nice handling and good performance, but not a home mechanics car by any means. After it got sideswiped on th emotorway, instead of getting given another one of similar age/miles/condition by the insurance company, he opted to take the cash value and run.

Ended up trading in his older Porsche early 90's 911 for a newer Carrera 4 using the cash from the A8 insurance to make up the difference.

Nah people just neglect them. When you run an automatic transmission without ever letting the thing warm up, going over GVW and never change the filter the reliability will wane on you. THe wiring just check for cracks and bad insulation in the engine bay. Other than that, if there's rust it'll be in the wheel wells or in the rockers.

School is alright, lots of ridiculous classes this semester, how's your daughter handling it?

Cool, at least I know a couple of things to look for.

It keeps getting busier for her and she's starting to complain about not having her ZXT to drive around. I'm fixing an oil leak and will be taking it down there Saturday.

MB definitely has the wiring harness issues as they were designed to be biodegradable. (I'm not kidding)

I still would love a 2000 e class. I have to say that they make for a nice reliable, easy to work on*, good driving car. The S class of the same era is really nice too. Sometimes i miss working on the benzes.

*replacing major electrical/computer items lands in the realm of dealership only most of the time.