HybridZ

Fibreglass 240z Doors on a 260

Whittie

Well, as the title says, this is what I would like to do.

People have been trying to tell me that the window winder is in a different position so this will never work, but the glorious thing about fibreglass is you can do anything you want to it very easily. So what I would like to know is if this is easy/possible/plausible.

The car it is going into has a door intrusion bar on the roll cage and currently the bar goes underneath the arm rest and above the door handle.

This picture here is a good shot of the current door:

P1010233.jpg

You can see the taped up holes where the arm rest and window winder fit.

And here is a pic of the fibreglass one I would like to fit. Note the location of the arm rest and window winder holes in the same position as the door above.

240Zdoor003.jpg

What I was thinking I would do is put all the window winding mechanism from my current door (Late 260/280 glass and mechanism), adapt the proper striker so it'll close and Bob's your uncle. But these things never work out that easy so I thought it would be a good idea to ask if anyone see's any glaring issues with this or has done this swap before?

Any help is appreciated.

Tom.

PS, glass has to stay, it's still a street car so lexan side windows is a no-no :)

I haven't ordered the doors yet but there from a mob here in AUS called Alfa Motorsport Fibreglass. At $330 a pop it's cheaper than repairing the rust in my steel doors, hence the conversion :D

I plan on cutting out the fibreglass "window" and I'll just cut the track out in the fibreglass edging and put in all the trim from the original chrome piece so that the window slides and doesn't get scratched. It shouldn't be too difficult.

If it is too difficult then I'll just use the chrome piece from the doors currently on the car.

Why, I ask would you consider putting in heavy windows, window mechs and the SS window/door trim in a race car? Put in lexan windows with a simple strap to raise and lower it. Remove the inner door panel and curve the side protection roll bar section into the door.

Or maybe this is a race car dressed up to be a street car. If so never mind.

The price is very appealing and it would be nice if someone on this side of the world made them.

The way Fraser explained it to me with those doors is that you simply cut off the frame at the top, drill your mounting holes and place the whole chrome metal window frame from your old door into it.

Then mount up your mech. inside and you have working windows.

The things you need to consider with those glass doors though is the strength of the mounting points of components.

You'll need to keep an eye on the mounts for the winder assembly and the outer door handle assembly.

They are very likey to crack the fibreglass where they bolt on due to the stresses during operation.

Or maybe this is a race car dressed up to be a street car.

Bingo.

The way Fraser explained it to me with those doors is that you simply cut off the frame at the top, drill your mounting holes and place the whole chrome metal window frame from your old door into it.

Then mount up your mech. inside and you have working windows.

The things you need to consider with those glass doors though is the strength of the mounting points of components.

You'll need to keep an eye on the mounts for the winder assembly and the outer door handle assembly.

They are very likey to crack the fibreglass where they bolt on due to the stresses during operation.

Thats what I was thinking, but I asked about fitting a 260 and he said he didn't know if it would work, Hence the question here.

Do you have any of his panels NizmOZed? What is the quality and fit like? As far as Fraser could tell me no one in WA has his stuff on their car for me to check out before I order :( And I'm ordering the works, a total fibreglass car transformation.

Haha, I have a roof skin sitting in a box waiting for me to put it on the car when I get started, so don't worry about that.

It's just easier to have glass windows. Lexan doesn't fit well and won't slide easily and I still want to have working windows that don't leak. It is still a road car so I don't want to go too insane with it.

I am unsure of the legality of plastic side windows, I just want working windows is all.

• 1 month later...

Haha, I have a roof skin sitting in a box waiting for me to put it on the car when I get started, so don't worry about that.

It's just easier to have glass windows. Lexan doesn't fit well and won't slide easily and I still want to have working windows that don't leak. It is still a road car so I don't want to go too insane with it.

I am unsure of the legality of plastic side windows, I just want working windows is all.

I drove around with a sheet of plastic from bunnings as a side window on my daily driver (old honda accord coupe) for a couple of years with no issues from the police. You wouldn't notice it was plastic. Didn't wind it up or down though. Even locked my keys in the car once and tried to kick it in to get in the car, but it wouldn't break, not like the glass did the first time :rolleyes: