HybridZ

Science related fun facts related to common stuff

woldson

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sky is blue because that wavelength of color bends 90 degrees (scatters in all directions actually) and comes towards us, when it hits our dusty atmosphere. Red passes straight through without bending which is why you see it at sunset and sunrise. In short.

Dusty skies make the best sunsets.

Guest Rolling Parts
That's right! did not think of that.

Actually, it always heats the room, it will just do so at a faster rate if you leave the door open.

As far as compressing an aircraft carrier to such a small size that it fit's in your pocket, well, yea but you'd BETTER have some pretty strong pockets! :)

There are 2 identical parts, one made from alloy steel, one from titanium. Which is stronger?

Pure titanium metal is actually not that strong (63ksi) and loses a lot of its strength if heated over 800F, it needs to be alloyed with other materials to get its legendary strength.

So, my answer is: the alloy steel is stronger.

Now if you're comparing the 6AL-4V alloy of titanium with alloy steel, I choose the titanium alloy. There's also the BetaC Ti alloy which achieves over 200ksi of strength.

turboHLS30 wrote:

Bose- Einstein condensate???

Correct!

woldson wrote:

Also, what is the most abundant element in the universe?

Hydrogen! But dark matter is the most abundant "stuff" (whatever it is)...

For the physics guys: The speed of light, as measured in a vacuum, is about 186,000 miles/second. Q: How slow has it been measured to be under other conditions?

For the math guys: Q: If you could live forever (i.e. no metabolic changes due to age), how long would you likely live?

Another for the math guys: Q: Why is it that all your friends seem to have more friends than you?

The speed of light, as measured in a vacuum, is about 186,000 miles/second. Q: How slow has it been measured to be under other conditions?

60kph through sodium (Full Disclosure: had to grab the physics book next to the desk for that one)

: Q: If you could live forever (i.e. no metabolic changes due to age), how long would you likely live?
You wouldn't live, you'd be a giant cancerous tumor.

: Q: Why is it that all your friends seem to have more friends than you?
Because you spend too much time with math.

Because you spend too much time with math. LOLOLOL!

Accoding to math a distince can always be divided in half.

So one can assume that you can not pass through a door way.

Really think about that one it will show you hard it is to get your self past common knowlage. ;)

Hydrogen! But dark matter is the most abundant "stuff" (whatever it is)...

I did think of that, though I knew it had not been classified.

Iron Oxide or Rust.

Yep, There is just enough water vapor in the air to rust the large amount of Iron just laying around.

What's the only currently known living organism that can produce Methane?

Bacteria (at least in your guts).?

What's the only currently known living organism that can produce Methane?

Bacteria (at least in your guts).?

Not quite. Methanogens. E. coli (the main component of gut flora) doesn't create any methane. Methanogens are acutally a group of archaea (kinda related to bacteria but not really) and they're the only known living organism that can respire to CO2 to create methane, which is actually a pretty PITA process for them, but it allows them to live in some pretty inclimate places, like garbage heaps. Not everyone has methanogens in their gut, which is why not everyone can light their farts. But please, don't light your own brand on fire to test to see if you're lucky. You'll light other things on fire.