HybridZ

Science related fun facts related to common stuff

woldson

*did you know chocolate contains caffeine?

Not true caffiene, but a caffiene homologue. It also contains the same endorphins that are released upon baby making, but in the quantities that are in chocolate, they're fully metabolized before you get any fun effects.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true caffiene, but a caffiene homologue. It also contains the same endorphins that are released upon baby making, but in the quantities that are in chocolate, they're fully metabolized before you get any fun effects.

So how much chocolate must I consume before I can leave my wife???? If I could get my rocks off without her it would make my z get done so much sooner

The speed of light, as measured in a vacuum, is about 186,000 miles/second. Q: How slow has it been measured to be under other conditions?

60kph through sodium (Full Disclosure: had to grab the physics book next to the desk for that one)

Yes! That blew my mind when I read about it.

Q: If you could live forever (i.e. no metabolic changes due to age), how long would you likely live?

You wouldn't live, you'd be a giant cancerous tumor.

Ah, but remember, no metabolic changes. The answer is "about 300 years", on account of something would get you - car wreck, slip & fall, nasty disease (a diseased state is a "normal" part of biology). This answer assumes your age is "stopped" at your current age - if the treatment made everyone young again, the period would be shorter, cause young people are more likely to take dangerous risks.

Q: Why is it that all your friends seem to have more friends than you?

Because you spend too much time with math.

Well, uh, yeah, true. However, the statistical answer is that you aren't friends with people with no friends - they have no friends, including you. So the sample you see is statistically skewed toward "more friends", enough so that what you see does not reflect your own experience.

This is a cool thread.

Something I don't know the answer to: if photons move at the speed of light, and time dilation is infinite at that speed, do photons experience time? And if so, how do they interact with things?

Ah, but remember, no metabolic changes. The answer is "about 300 years", on account of something would get you - car wreck, slip & fall, nasty disease (a diseased state is a "normal" part of biology). This answer assumes your age is "stopped" at your current age - if the treatment made everyone young again, the period would be shorter, cause young people are more likely to take dangerous risks.

Except dead cells that you naturally produce are a major portion of your immune system. If your cells never died you'd lose the majority of your immune response, especially since killing infected cells and dead skin cells are your first defense in immune response. Even assuming no metabolic degradation, the only cells that can infinitely replicate (in theory) are cancer cells. So, you'd just be a big tumor. Or your cells would never grow and you'd waste away in just a few short months.

*did you know that your body burns calories when consuming iced water, since your body has to "warm" up the water to core temperature?

Yeah, but not very many calories so don't go thinking that you are going to shave a half second off your quarter mile by drinking ice water all the time :mrgreen:

Something I don't know the answer to: if photons move at the speed of light, and time dilation is infinite at that speed, do photons experience time? And if so, how do they interact with things?

If Einstein, Bohr, and many others were unable to unify Relativity and Quantum Physics I doubt any of the wankers here can.

If Einstein, Bohr, and many others were unable to unify Relativity and Quantum Physics I doubt any of the wankers here can.

Truth, iirc Einstein presented some pretty solid guesses as to what it can do, but as far as I know, the current state of astrophysics/quantum physics is not to the point yet of being able to test their ideas. Though nature has kind of replicated a situation where it could be tested: the event horizon of black holes. Which is why so much funding gets dumped into that field every year.

Guest Rolling Parts
Actually, some wankers (not from here) claim to have unified everything using strings, branes, and at least 11 dimensions.

eHarmony claims 29 dimensions (when it comes to women). I guess the univers is simpler...

Some how I think this may be exceeding the common stuff that can be interesting to an average joe, however, it is truly fascinating!

Where dose the "crack" of thunder come from? This question may not be phased correctly. Not looking for lighting.

Another, your hair is made of keratin sp? what else on your body is hair?

BTW, did I mention that if you used more then 10% of your brain for thinking you will probably die.

Some how I think this may be exceeding the common stuff that can be interesting to an average joe, however, it is truly fascinating!

Where dose the "crack" of thunder come from? This question may not be phased correctly. Not looking for lighting.

Another, your hair is made of keratin sp? what else on your body is hair?

BTW, did I mention that if you used more then 10% of your brain for thinking you will probably die.

Air expanding from the intense heat.

Fingernails?

How many horned rimmed glasses wearing, floppy disk packing, no girlfriend geeks does it take to post 4 pages of info that matters not in helping each other get their '70's Japanse sport car off the jack stands so they might get a chance to drive around and actually "see" what a girl looks like in person?:willy_nil

junior-geek-squad.jpg

Air expanding from the intense heat.

Fingernails?

Keratin is the protein that gives pretty much every exterior coating strength (hair, nails, skin, etc.) but it's highest concentration is in nails, then hair.

If it's in too high of quantities in skin it's called ichthoyosis and if it gets too high it actually causes the skin to become hard and crack (in the case of harlequin ichthoyosis... don't google image that just trust me)