Science related fun facts related to common stuff

woldson

We all know the 3 states of matter:

Solid

Liquid

gas

Anyone know the fourth?

Hint:Makes up somthing like over 90% of most states

I know about the internet, try not to look them up for the answer, or the questions.

Also please keep them simple and related to everyday life:)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soo cool, I did not know their was a fifth!

Mags question interests me due to why cancer cell, (I assume antibodies) were used to create a vaccine. Plus added bonus, "stolen".

They had to be cancer cells because by virtue of how cancer cells work, they can be cultured virtually indefinitely outside of the human body in tissue culture. Primary cell lines (I.e. just tissue pulled directly from a person and grown in culture) only last 10-20 passages and cannot be frozen down and saved. Oncogenic cells can last 5-6x that and can be cryo-stored.

To answer the question, the woman's name is Henrietta Lacks, and is the proprietor of the current HeLa line of cells used in labs. Though they're used for vaccine development, once the vaccine is made, it has to be produced in primary cell lines (Fun Fact: Flu Vaccine is made in chicken eggs) so that you don't get the oncogenic genes of the cervical cancer cells. That would be bad.

Here is another, most of you may know this:

There is no such thing as cold, just less heat.

There is no such thing as darkness, just less light.

The color black absorbs all color, where white reflects all colors.

So the color red, absorbs all color except red.

Anyone know who the cancer cells were stolen from so that a polio vaccine could be developed along with many other drugs?

Jonas Salk made the vaccine but I don't know who the cels came from. I learn a lot in school, I'm in all honors and Advance Placement classes.