HybridZ

Relocated ignition coils on LSx - any ideas?

I would like to use billet machined valve covers and relocate the coils out-of-sight. Does anyone have photos of such an installation on a S30?

Possibly something like this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2212538-how-to-relocate-your-coil-packs-many-pics.html

Should fit okay but what are the implications of using very long leads? Thanks

Coil relocation 1 s_thumb.jpg

....what are the implications of using very long leads? Thanks

With an n/a LSx motor, I am sure you'd be fine with long leads since each coil is pushing quite a bit of juice (50k or so).

I've seen guys mount them on the firewall too, not in S30's, but other custom apps....

Something to consider.

I thought about the cowl but was worried about clearance with the wiper mechanism. I think I might try to mount them in a square configuration on the inside of the inner guard, i.e behind the battery and on the opposite side - I have a RHD. A perforated shield (to allow cooling) painted the same colour as the car should hide them sufficiently without exposure to road grime.

These are just my preliminary concepts so any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Coil location 2 s mod_thumb.JPG

Are you running A/C? I wasn't going to on mine when I cared about my LS1, and was going to mount them on the transmission hump right next to the firewall on the inside of the cab. They'd be dry and protected and pretty easy to access. Additionally you shouldn't have to modify the harness too much to get the length into that area.

Don't you have 8 of them to deal with?
Yes, but luckily the cars down here have both a left and right inner guards!

Blown77Z - Thanks, the 'toast rack' configuration gives rise to other possible locations.

tfreer85 - I though of having them inside the cabin but I was concerned about how much heat they would generate and the summers down here make A/C a must have. Someone was making a two-tier valve cover which enclosed the coils but there were comments about the coils overheating.

ha ha someone beat me too it and posted my picture. I used caprice wires. Here is the other side mounted under my front facing header. the coils are mounted to an aluminum strap that is attached to the block.

pcoils.jpg

I saw a really nice kit that bolted the coils to the back of the heads on ls1 tech. I have to much stuff tucked back there already though.

How about move them to the right some more and under that metal piece in the second picture? The 280Z has these 2 pockets on both sides. But running the coil wires could be challenging. Seriously if you want a clean look the place to put them is behind the firewall. Run all your coil wires thru the fire wall just like how you run the EFI wires but seperate them out. Otherwise you might get interference. GL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I like these coil relocation brackets in the post above, but how do you organize and route the wires so that they clear the JTR headers? The stock coil location is awesome for plug wire organization. I've seen the coil brackets, but does anyone have a lead on some nice looms for routing the wires? I don't want to burn my wires up!