HybridZ

Turbo Swap for 280ZX

Mr.Twitty

Ok so i'm looking for some advice on a turbo swap I am doing. It is on my

1980 280zx. I am wanting to know of any issues others have run into when doing a turbo swap and also wanted to know when doing the turbo to non turbo is it possible to run the car without any EGR setup. Any help and suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking your post and questions are going to be too generic for anyone to respond to. You'll need to do quite a bit of searching as there is lots of info about this swap. LOTS of info. Even the EGR question has been addressed I am sure.

In fact, start with the FAQs and stickies in the Turbo forum, and look at the bottom of this page for "Similar Threads". You could almost get all the info you need without searching, but I would never recommend trying to do that. Search is your best friend, or at least it needs to be.

The only thing I would add that I don't remember reading anywhere is that you can't use the B/W (Borg Warner) 5-speed manual with the S30 driveshaft that mates to the Nissan 5-speed. I don't know how that looks for you (S130), but I think the B/Ws only came in the turbo cars so if you have a 5-speed, you will need to keep your 5-speed unless you swap and maybe modify (length) the driveshaft from a donor car.

The B/W and the Nissan trannies have different output shafts (different spline count) and I believe they are different lengths too, resulting in different length driveshafts. If someone sees this and has the info maybe they can post more exact information.

i ran into a problem when i tried to sit the turbo motor back into the engine compartment,the waste gate on my turbo wanted rest on my gear box..the car is a 1980 non turbo i was told that later model z's has a recirculating joint steering set up which would accomidate the turbo..can anyone make any other suggestions or know if this will work because the turbo that i replaced the stock one with is slightly larger..then my next question is what parts(vacuum lines and etc) can i eliminate from my intake without effecting my engine

Take off the wastegate actuator. You can trim out a small chunk of the bracket that holds the actuator on and then bolt it back on. I've seen pics of this installed on the power steering type ZX.

I did the 280ZX NA to 280ZX turbo swap. Here is a long, long thread you can read through. Has a lot of chit-chat but the good stuff is in there too.

http://zdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15653