HybridZ

Another Starting Issue, no spark *pics*

Daphur280

I'm running an '83 turbo swap in my 73 240z, and i've followed the wiring diagrams provided here and every diagram in print as best as they convey. I've installed an MSD SS Blaster coil and I believe I have it setup correct, and I'm not getting any spark. So, from the IGN module I have the Blue wire attached to the NEG terminal on the coil and the Black w/ white stripe connected to the POS terminal on the coil. On the T connector from the harness on the module I have the White wire going to 12v IGN, and the Blue wire going to the ECU. I know I'm probably missing important info too so. . . lemme know

DSC00143.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I found out the green light on the ECU, isn't lighting up. So my guess is no power...? So I have some connectors on the harness (close to where the plugs are for the ecu) that I either saw little or no explanation of, and i have included them here...

First: this "T" connector i didn't see anything in the swap thread, this is the first plug following the harness from the ecu to the firewall,

DSC00145.jpg

Next: this connector I believe I was told goes to the fuel pump relay? anyway, I didn't have the harness that goes to the fuel pump relay, so I have set up the fuel pump relay and connected everything according to a diagram someone made me, and the pump works fine. but I'm not sure if there is something within this connector that is suppose to go to 12v source, Ground, etc.

here is the connector, its the last connector (following the harness from the ecu to the engine bay) before the grommet:

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

Lol, I certainly can't leave a crying baby on the internet. I'll take a look at my diagrams when I get home. I'm fairly certain I have that T connector just dangling. If you haven't already done it I would turn the key on and back probe the ECU connectors to make sure you're getting power to the pins that are supposed to have power... use a ground on the connector instead of a body ground just in case you have a bad ground to the harness. You might first want to do a quick probe of the EFI relay connector to make sure it's giving the harness power when the key is turned on.

Looks like that's the connector to the fuel pump control modulator so I don't think it would cause the problems you're seeing... I don't have one either. Saw some good diagnostic procedures in the manual you might want to try since we all know it's something simple :mrgreen::ass:

AAAAWwww ♥♥♥♥, I cannot remember.....do you have the FSM for the year of harness that you are using....there was one particular wire that had to be spliced off to a switched hot to get the ECU to come on, and another that went to the fuel pump relay...best bet is to check the wiring schematics and make sure all of the hot wire paths are replicated

i dont have an fsm for the 83 turbo. so far every wiring diagram I have is not entirely accurate, or differs from what I have.

I took some more pics of my efi harness in case something looks out of place or whatnot...

here is the (efi relay?) and some 5 pin connector (which i'm not entirely sure where it goes):

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00186.jpg

DSC00187.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

I have it mounted up here:

DSC00161.jpg

Coolant sensor on the head:

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00183.jpg

O2 sensor:

DSC00182.jpg

MAF and ground connector near it on the harness (grounded to MAF bracket that I fab'ed):

DSC00180.jpg

another ground :

DSC00178.jpg

The other 2 ground:

DSC00177.jpg

Cold inj? (not pluged in; dont have the sensor) :

DSC00175.jpg

I ended up having to use a CA18det throttle body, and it has a different TPS connector than the one on the L28et so I disassembled the connector and connected directly:

DSC00174.jpg

here is the ignition harness connector (8 pin) on the EFI harness that i didn't have the rest of so I followed the diagram on the "L28et into S30" Sticky on the forum and connected them as instructed:

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

Here's the ECU#:

DSC00169.jpg

MAF #:

DSC00163.jpg

AAAAWwww ♥♥♥♥, I cannot remember.....do you have the FSM for the year of harness that you are using....there was one particular wire that had to be spliced off to a switched hot to get the ECU to come on, and another that went to the fuel pump relay...best bet is to check the wiring schematics and make sure all of the hot wire paths are replicated

I did test the wire and it was the Black w/ White stripe wire from this connector that got the ecu light (green) on (i wired it to 12v switched):

DSC00146.jpg

But I'm still getting no spark.

yup i grounded that wire, so i did more probing today and still nothing, checked out the FSM for the 83 turbo harness, and still stumped, everything as far as I'm concerned is connected as it should, and I'm getting nowhere. I'm coming to the end of attempts here, and probably gonna offer $50-100 to the person who can get it started and runnning...

Damn, if I still lived in Vancouver, I would take you up on that offer. Try hitting up Mortensen or Braap, they both live up near you.

Already tried Braap, he referred me to try Skib, and he has been helping me via PM, but I'm still getting nowhere and am just at the point where I need this car done and soon. So I'm resorting to this.

Just for future reference, I know virtually nothing about electrical and much less about the stock FI setup, what is it K-jet or L-jet? There is a reason why my LSx will run a carburetor; because I am inept with electricity. Lots of good wiring/FI guys here, I am not one of them. Sorry. Good luck with your project.

Quick question. Are you sure your switched power source remains hot when the key is turned to "Start"? Make sure the ECU light stays lit while cranking.

Joe

I noticed the ecu light goes on when in "on" position, but goes out during "start" position. . . thanks for the info, I'll start again from here, and see what happens.

*update* I checked this ^^ and i unplugged the starter solenoid connector and the ecu stayed lit through START, however, when i reconnect the connector to the starter it does not light through START.... anymore ideas?? I'm guessing somethings not wired right... but, I have everything wired as it is said to do so in the L28ET > S30 chassis diagrams. HELP!